Wednesday. Seventh grade success, third period.
(Different campus than the one I did the week and a half of seventh grade success at, but they were doing the same thing I had done last week. The counselors came in to get their student portal accounts set up. Looks like I had the vacant classes right on schedule.)
The students had a school rules kind of an assignment (they were doing the A to Z of how they should behave), and mostly they were on task. Someone made a comment about the air conditioning.
After the prior week's heat, this week was a nice cool down. We were still in the 80s (Fahrenheit, Celsius would be about 29 degrees), but it felt so much better. However, it was still air conditioning weather.
Instead of responding, I noticed that the kiddo sitting right in front of me had on a black hoodie. And I finally asked the question.
I mentioned that we adults have had this conversation. Why do the kiddos where black hoodies in the heat? What are they thinking?
Several students chimed in. Mostly it was about having the sads. They said sometimes they just want to huddle in the comfort of a hoodie and wallow. (That's the gist of it, anyway.)
Mystery solved.
And then one student piped up with how they'll sometimes wear shorts in the winter. To which I emphatically agreed. And why is that? But to that I did not get an answer.

I had no idea! I always wondered about hoodies in hot weather, I'd be miserable.
ReplyDeleteI'm in Capri pants, a sleeveless top, and the a/c is blasting, and I'm miserable today. I can't even imagine being in a black hoodie.
DeleteI’m all about comfort, dress to suit the weather
ReplyDeleteI know, right?
Delete