Monday, September 18, 2017

Bullseye Beanie Pattern Now Available

I finally finished writing up the pattern for the Bullseye Beanie (thanks for the name, Alex :)

Bullseye Beanie, modeled by middle nephew
If you're interested in knitting it, you can find the pattern on Ravelry (link) or Etsy (link).

Why did it take me so long to write up the pattern? Because I had a time trying to figure out how to explain a few things. While this is a basic beanie in shape, there are a few considerations that come with getting it to look just right.
  1. Because it was supposed to look like a target, I didn't want lined up increases to mar the look at the top. (Usually increases are stacked to create a swirl pattern. Which can be cute. But not what I wanted.) But how could I explain what I did? It made sense in my head and on the needles, but how do I convey that in print?
  2. How do I explain how not to get a jog at the color change? (It's something that happens when knitting in the round.) 
  3. Do I write the pattern assuming that the knitter who wants it knows all the ins and outs of working a pattern like this? 
In the end, I found videos on YouTube of all the techniques I used. It was easier than trying to explain what I did. 

It's amazing what you can find demonstrated on YouTube.

25 comments:

  1. You can find just about anything on YouTube.
    Hat turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I think I should open up all naming of patterns to the blog. You guys have better thoughts than me on these things.

      Delete
  3. I really love that. My nephews love hats and love archery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I have a few ready made for sale, too ;)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes explaining things is hard. It's a different skill set from writing fiction. Luckily there are always those YouTube videos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out great. Very eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really cute. I'd suggest a Minion hat, but a friend already made one for me. Not that I wouldn't want another. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bullseye beanie is perfect for splatgun bullseye games. So with friends folks will easily need about 10 of these hats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really great name and even greater finish, well done you. It looks really nice. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The video is a great touch, I'm still new to knitting so I'd be confused if I tried it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured newer knitters might be confused at all the extra bits in this.

      Delete
  10. My son keeps telling me I can find anything on You Tube. But do I listen? Well, only when something needs fixing. Maybe one day I will finally watch crochet videos. Kudos to you creating patterns. I would never have the patience. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to only look up techniques when I'm writing a pattern :)

      Delete
  11. Love the name and kudos to Alex! This is a great hat with bright colours

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still looks like a great hat!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great hat and good idea to use YouTube. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much easier than trying to explain things myself ;)

      Delete
  14. Cute pattern. I understand what you meant, but I've been knitting forever, so I guess I don't count. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you count! I was more concerned about knitters who would see something like "magic loop" or "increase evenly" and would be flummoxed. In fact, you probably don't even need the actual pattern; you can probably reverse engineer this from the pic ;)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.