Thursday, September 28, 2017

Wrong Room


All last week (well, Tuesday through Friday) I was covering a special ed. English class. The teacher left us reading to do, so all period I was engaged in teaching. (Shocking, I know.) So, when the phone rang in the middle of class, I wasn't fully listening to the caller when I answered.

(The student did keep reading, but these things can go sideways when I'm not fully alert.)

The office called to ask if I could cover a class on my prep period. The answer to this is always yes, so I noted what room number she said and got back to following along in the book.

But... I thought she said room 212. The school doesn't have a room 212.

I waited until class was over to call her back. No answer. I wasn't too worried. I had another class to go before my prep, so I'd just call her then.

So, passing period right before my prep period. I had six minutes to get to another class, but I didn't know which one. I tried calling the secretary. Repeatedly. She wasn't there.

The minutes were ticking away. Who to call? I called a couple other secretaries in the main office. It took several calls before I finally got someone. By then the bell had rung.

Turns out, the secretary in charge of subs had stepped out for a couple hours. Someone had to go to her office to check her list. Again, more time passing while some class had no teacher. I finally got a room number. 512.

Um, 512 was right next door to where I was...

At least it wasn't a long trek to get to there. And then I had to mellow a room full of freshmen.

And the problems were just beginning.

I have no idea if I misheard the secretary or if she misspoke. Could be either.

22 comments:

  1. Glad the room wasn't far, but I feel for you in having to calm a classroom of freshman. Argh! 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my troubles just started when I got there...

      Delete
  2. Been funny if they couldn't find it. You would've gone room to room, looking for a class without a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So easy to do when you are caught off guard and into something else that has your attention. I do crap like that all the time. I sometimes get in a really bad fog when I am hurting alot and it can look like I am really into what you are saying but I have not heard a word you said. Crazy....hence once reason I am now retired. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens. The question is: did you remember having the conversation, or did the person you talked to also go out of your memory?

      Delete
  4. Glad it worked out, but oh how frustrating that must have been

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I was more frustrated with myself over not paying close enough attention the first time.

      Delete
  5. It would drive me buggy to have to repeatedly call the office & just get a ringing phone. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, that's not usual. Usually when I call the office, I get someone right away.

      Delete
  6. Its easy to get distracted when you're trying to get students to tow the line but at least numbers never lie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for finding out the correct room :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a weird number configuration this building must have for it to have room 512 but not 212. I must be too used to the first number indicating what floor it's on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frightening....a class without a teacher! Were they up to no-good?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad it was "just" next door and not halfway across the campus.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness it was right next door. Freshmen to boot! Yuck

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.