Thursday, April 13, 2017

Kudos Deserved


When I'm asked to cover an extra period, there are certain things I expect. We'll have to wait around for security to let us in. The class will be loud and all over the place while I locate the lesson plans. And somehow I'll have to get the students to settle while I'm getting situated for the period. (This usually involves the raising of my voice.)

I went to the extra 6th period on this Monday with realistic expectations. (This was the same day as the ELD class from yesterday's post.) However, I was thrilled when security arrived at the classroom just when I did.

Security let us in the room, and the first thing I noticed was how warm it was. (The class had been period subbed all day, so I assume none of the other subs had bothered with the thermostat.) Before looking for lesson plans and dealing with the loud, I went to turn on the air conditioning. Then I turned back to the class...

Everyone in the class was seated. And silent. Waiting...

Um... This was weird. These were middle schoolers. 7th graders. Silently waiting. Right. This couldn't last.

I located the lesson plans. (The sub from the prior period had hidden them away. Grrr.) Found the thing they were supposed to do...

"But we're ELD..." one kiddo protested.

Yup, I knew that. I was reading the period 6 lesson plans, which I pointed out. And I started to pass out their work. (Got a volunteer, so I let him pass out papers.) And I explained what they were doing.

And they did it. Silently. For the whole period.

I had my fingers crossed. I knocked on wood. I was doing everything not to jinx the luck. Because, seriously? A middle school class that I was only in for one period and that period was 6th period behaving well? This just doesn't happen.

The note I left was glowing. They deserved it.

These were alien replicants, right? Or Stepford children? What do you think caused this anomaly?

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter...

26 comments:

  1. Maybe someone put Halcion in the water?

    http://darlamsands.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this post I was just waiting for that moment when you said "And then…" Oh my goodness. So the kids didn't pull any pranks on you? They didn't talk when they weren't suppose to? They got their work done?!?! WHAT?!?!? This happens in real life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They talked a little towards the end of the period, but nothing major. I do have good classes from time to time. I don't usually post about them.

      Delete
  3. Totally an anomaly never to happen again!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, maybe the regular teacher has a great relationship with that class and maybe she knew she was going to be out so she told them they would get something special if they were on great behavior! I would be scratching my head over that myself. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. Some classes do get rewards for good sub notes.

      Delete
  5. Perhaps they were all wondering whose turn it was to act out, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe they're that terrified of their teacher. Or they had just been made to do tons of laps in gym class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll just say Karma is on your side.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, YAY for a well behaved class :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. A bit of divine intervention, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - glad they had that note from you - and their teacher would be impressed too - how lovely for a change .. cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/l-is-for-legendary-beasts-of-britain.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always a good day when you can leave a glowing report.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone must have decided that, since you were doing A to Z, you would be given a boring class with no A to Z material. Congratulations! You know it won't last. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week had a dearth of material. And I had to mine it for two weeks' worth! (It's spring break this week, so I'd have nothing for next week otherwise.)

      Delete
  13. Who cares of the moon went off on its own...take it when it comes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know. I was just trying to come up with questions. They didn't make it easy.

      Delete
  14. Maybe their teacher is really lovely and has trained them... or maybe she drugs them ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.