Thursday, June 9, 2016

Lovestruck


There are some things that I don't see when I'm in a class one day and out the next. Little dramas that play out over days. So, six days in one class gave me a different perspective than I normally get.

On the first day, Kenya declared that she wanted to be famous. But Kenya is more interested in something else. Boys.

The IAs clued me in to Kenya's obsession, but I figured out the object of her affection on my own. And he's completely oblivious.

She would say "hi" to him in that fawning way we girls sometimes have, and he kept on walking by. She tried to engage him in conversation, but he was more interested in watching videos on a tablet with his friend. It seemed like she talked to his back quite a bit, and if he heard her, he's doing a great job of pretending that he didn't.

On Friday, we finished their reading assignment early, so Kenya and her toady Brittany had some time to "draw". Only, they didn't draw...



They each wrote one to a different boy, but they wrote the exact same thing. And as they did it, they covered it up, but not well enough for me not to know what they were up to.

I figured it was harmless enough, but the IAs were concerned. The notes were confiscated.

Later, they told me that Kenya's affections only lately transferred to this boy. Her previous crush... Well, something turned her off him.

This was Friday, and they had an end-of-year party in the afternoon. The club was going to hold elections for next year's officers during the party. At least, that's what one of the IAs told me when one boy spent a lot of time chatting up a bunch of the kids.

He was general ed (the club was a way for the special ed kids and general ed kids to interact in a social setting), and he was confident. He made a point of saying something nice to Kenya and Brittany. And I could tell Kenya's head was turned.

Well, at least this boy was better than the last one. I think. Maybe.

I'll see how this plays out next week. If it plays out next week. It should be interesting.

32 comments:

  1. Something I don't miss about the teen years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teenage drama. :-) At least you provides you entertainment and blog inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. And when I can get my hands on the notes... *chuckles gleefully*

      Delete
  3. Aww! The letters are so cute! They make me happy! I'm sad they were confiscated. Hope things work out better with the new crush than the previous ones… Looking forward to your update, if and when you have one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, on Monday she was back to fawning over oblivious boy, so the new crush lasted only a couple hours.

      Delete
  4. I think the letters are adorable and I'm sorry they were confiscated. Everything is so intense at that age,

    @Kathleen01930 Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. I wonder what the teacher did upon her return.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh! I am happy you confiscated the notes. I wish there was a way to make these girls understand that they will have plenty of time to fawn over boys. What the heck is the big hurry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't confiscate them. The aides did. The notes weren't that bad. I think it's pretty normal for that age.

      Delete
    2. Just because it is normal doesn't make it right!

      Delete
  6. This made me smile. I remember fighting for a boy's affections in primary school. He was a very popular little boy. There were about six of us who used to chase him round the playground. I can't remember writing any letters though :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I would have been so bold as to write a note like that to a boy I might have liked in high school; even though they got confiscated, I would still be afraid to have the "evidence" out there.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have been able to do it. Not and have my name on the note.

      Delete
    2. I can remember, in high school, writing a note like this. When it was read aloud in the class of the teacher who confiscated it, that was the end of me ever writing another note of any kind!!

      Delete
  8. How old are these girls? It looks like they were written by 6 year olds. I am horrible but I hope she doesn't end up preggers when she is 18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Special ed class. They read at about a 4th grade level.

      Delete
  9. I remember a crush I had in second grade and drew a boy a heart. He went up an tossed it in trash. My heart was broken. No I didn't marry him.
    Don't they have cell phone. Surprise they didn't use technology to communicate.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Special ed class. These kids read at a lower level than others their age, and their parents might not feel they have the capacity to handle a cell phone.

      Delete
  10. Fawning and then fickle. Such drama.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Precious story. It's funny that they decided to write the exact same note. My 12-year-old granddaughter is starting the drama stage now. A lot of it plays out on Instagram though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, gosh. I remember being boy crazy. But passing notes used to drive me crazy, as did girls who would want another to approach the guy for her. I liked a more direct approach face to face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Yep. But if you'd seen these boys, you wouldn't understand the attraction.

      Delete
  14. Haha. The boys should be appreciating the attention by the sound of it. It may never happen again for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys might, if they were aware of the situation. But, alas, they seem totally oblivous.

      Delete
  15. Some things never change, at least for those unable to use modern technology. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would have played out differently if cell phones weren't completely forbidden in that class, that's for sure.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.