Thursday, June 30, 2016

It Makes No Sense


I kind of understand why Jonah is in summer school. I can totally see how he failed English. He spends way too much time arguing about things that don't need to be argued about.

We were reading a story on Guardian Angels. (The non-profit safety patrols. Not Biblical angels.) It talked about the red berets they wear. The student who was reading initially pronounced the French hats as "barrette". Which is the way it's spelled, so it makes sense. I gently corrected the reader.

Then I asked if someone knew what a beret was. The description I got was of a kind of pancake hat. Apt description. And then it was time to move on.

"But it's spelled 'barrette'."

I explained to Jonah that it was a French word, and as such the last letter should be silent.

"That's stupid. Then it should be spelled..."

At this point, the whole class went after Jonah, telling him to "shut the front door" so we could move on.

I did understand Jonah's point, so I thought to throw him a bone. I agreed that there are many things in English that don't make sense. Weird spellings. Strange derivations. And if he wanted to rail against them he could. Later. After class.

That seemed to settle him. That time. (There were other things that got his ire, and his loud complaining, up.)

So, did he stay after class to discuss the vagaries of the English language with me? Of course not.

20 comments:

  1. He didn't want to discuss them, just complain about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many students would stay after class? … I know I never would have. No one wants to be alone with the teacher or in the class after class hours.

    But I totally agree with Jonah. The French language is complicated and confusing. Why can't each letter be pronounced? Then again, I love that words from other languages can be found in English. It makes other languages more approachable. i.e. "I already know that word because it's what I'd use in English! Yay!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my way of shutting them down. Mostly, they're complaining in a bid to get me off track so they don't have to do work. While it's an interesting discussion, it's one that's best had when they don't have other work to do.

      Delete
  3. Jonah strikes me a super bright kid, one who questions and wants answers. I had a student like him, Asberger's Syndrome. Many intelligent conversations. I like that.
    Of course, he didn't stay after to discuss this with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, if he had allowed the conversation to proceed in that he asked questions and I provided what answers I could, then I'd agree with you. But, when I gave him an explanation, he then talked over me complaining about something else. He wasn't curious. He just wanted to derail class.

      (I like students who are genuinely curious. I will go off on tangents for them. See tomorrow's post.)

      Delete
  4. English is such a stupid language spelling-wise. The beret thing is barely scratching the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always like what Alex says in his comments and I agree with his one today. Anything to keep from moving forward with the assignment some will try to do.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the English language would be hard for others to learn. There are so many crazy things about it. The kids and I were just discussing the word soar/sore yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After a few comments of student such as saying something is stupid...I have wonder what kind of mind set the parents have.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you know how to manage teens like that, I bet that shuts most of them down quickly lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the after class thing does. I used to try to explain things, but once I figured out this was all just a ploy, I stopped playing along.

      Delete
  9. I would want to slap them upside their heads when they are like that....I find that attitude so annoying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the questions. I do mind the not listening to the answers to the reasonable questions.

      Delete
  10. Maybe we can all be glad that he can read?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some people are just argumentative. I have to agree with you and Sue. At least there's that. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I don't mind a good discussion now and again. It's just when they ask but aren't interested in the answers...

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.