Monday, October 8, 2007

Surprise Ovation

I'm not working today. Sure, I was disappointed not to be called, but there are things that I need to get done, and a day off is the perfect opportunity.

So, right after I got up I turned on the TV. For background noise. Of course the TiVo was taping two things. One was a western (goodbye) and the other was a version of "Pygmalion" that I'd never seen before (not "My Fair Lady" which I have seen many times). I was curious, but not curious enough to sit and watch it.

I assumed that the movie was on Turner Classic Movies, but it turned out that I was wrong. It was on some channel that I had never heard of before. Since DirecTV adds channels from time to time (this is a good thing), I figured that it was time to go through and see what might be new.

Since there are so many channels, and many of them are channels that I never watch (sports, pay-per-view, sports, religious programming, sports, shopping channels, sports...) I have the box set up so that the only channels visible are the channels that I've designated as "favorites". This is fine for everyday, but until I know a channel exists, I can't designate it a favorite.

The last channels I "found" were Chiller and Sleuth. I went through the programming, and on Chiller I found "American Gothic", a show I loved and a show I missed when it was axed due to poor ratings (too bad, as it was a great show).

As it turned out, the channel that "Pygmalion" was on was a channel that I was familiar with. But I did find a channel that I did not know we got. Ovation.

We used to get Ovation. Then the Evil Cable Company (that's a topic for another day) discontinued the channel. Though, to be fair, it wasn't something I watched all that often. I only really liked one show.

It was an interesting show (I recommend it if you get this channel). It's about certain important developments in music. I've probably seen all of them already. But I was still so excited to find out that it's on.

So, it looks like it all came together for me today. I got the day off to discover that I needed to check my channels to discover that there was a channel that I wanted to see. Though, it would have been nice to work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.