Thursday, June 5, 2008

Obsolete Skills

I was covering a middle school theater class. They were preparing for their final scene presentation which meant that they were rehearsing. When I called for them to begin, they all retrieved various props for their scenes and set up. Two of the groups grabbed old rotary-style phones.

I spent the period making sure they didn't get into any mischief as middle schoolers tend to do (and remember, this was a class for actors). Then one of the boys made a comment. He had no idea how to dial a rotary phone.

I should not have been as surprised as I was. It's not like they ever really saw one (they were born in the mid-'90's). So, I went over and dialed a number for the boy. He was fascinated. He had been putting his finger in the "0" slot and dialing it to the number he wanted.

Times like this make me feel really, really old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.