I got another fundraising email from my current congressional representative. (I'm a little irked, though, as I learned in the primary election that come January I will no longer be in his district.) And it contained information I had not heard. So, I looked it up, and, via AP News:
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has awarded a $16.7 million contract to purchase 6,000 pairs of gloves that can deliver painful electric shocks, saying officers would use them to control detainees and protesters who resist.
ICE moved forward with the purchase despite opposition from civil rights advocates and Democratic members of Congress, who said ICE officers cannot be trusted to use them appropriately.
Now, that's chilling. (You can find the full article here.)
And those things can kill people. (Although, ICE has been killing people just fine without them.) I mean, tasers aren't as safe as we think they are...
My congressperson had a petition to sign. You might want to call your reps and let them know of your displeasure over this.

I know CA is hurrying to pass a ban on these. It seems nuts that they would be an option?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that. These seem so dangerous.
DeleteThere's been a lot of coverage here, at least on the news I've listened to. New York is not considering legislation at this time, rather lawsuits if someone is injured or worse. Doesn't help the person so injured. I believe CA has p assed the banning legislation but not sure if your governor has signed it.
ReplyDeleteThat's what happens when I don't pay attention. I have no idea. I'll have to look it up at some point.
DeleteI heard about the gloves on Twitter. Most people think they are going to misuse them and I agree.
ReplyDeleteWe can’t feed our Navy but ICE can get these gloves. Priorities?
ReplyDeleteI know, right?
DeleteThere are no words! How can it even be legal?
ReplyDeleteIt is deeply concerning to hear about ICE acquiring electric shock gloves, especially given the valid safety risks and potential for misuse highlighted by civil rights advocates and lawmakers.
ReplyDeleteICE was unprepared and ill-trained for the mission they were given, and it has led to the death of many Americans. Something has to change.
ReplyDeleteOh gosh. I read a story about a woman deported to Africa, not even the same continent as where she came from. How do people survive that? What they do, I wonder. Seems so horrendously cruel.
ReplyDeleteUnbelievable. I just read CA banned them for law enforcement, but ICE isn't state, so they'll keep them. I have no doubt they'll use them and say it was for their own "safety."
ReplyDelete