Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Blogging Maintenance

School started back up this week, so this is my last blogging nuts and bolts post of the summer. So, a few reminders: 

Now is a really good time to refresh your sidebar. When was the last time you went through and made sure all the gadgets were working? Is there anything there that's out of date? You should check it out periodically, so why not now? (Or find a time of year when things are slow for you and set yourself a reminder to do it then.) 

I've spent this summer trying to figure out how to help those bloggers who can't log in to comment on Blogger. If you've had this issue and figured out how to fix it, why not write your own blog post about it? I guarantee there are bloggers who would appreciate the insights. 

I collected all my blogging nuts and bolts posts into a page with a link at the top of this page. Feel free to reference it whenever you have need. 

And if there's any topic that you would like me to address, let me know in the comments. If I can answer the question, I will. Vacation weeks throughout the school year I will be in need of topics to blog about. Also, I'll need topics for next summer.

Happy beginning of the school year to those who celebrate. 

20 comments:

  1. First day of school is September 4. I wonder if this is the latest in the country. Incidentally, I wanted to tell you about another problem. I have with your blog on my iPhone. I cannot comment unless I enter the Web version of your blog. I have no idea what’s going on, but it’s only a minor annoyance..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up we always started the day after Labor Day. It starts this next Monday here.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like the same issue. Whatever Safari is doing it's doing it on your phone.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Liz! I bookmarked your post with all the helpful links. I just added two widgets to my sidebar this week. One is a search function so readers can access older posts via a keyword. Fandango suggested that to his readers, and it makes sense. I also added a tag cloud, which is for me ~ it seems that it’s the only way to find all posts with a particular label. If there’s another way, please share, as I don’t really like the look of the cloud…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, thank you so much for sharing these helpful tips! I really appreciate the time you put into doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, I am sure they will! I have this bookmarked and will refer to it! Thank you so much once again!

      Delete
  4. I clean out the labels on my sidebars once in a while, get rid of those I seldom use and add ones I find are used more often. Some bloggers have a list so long it runs way past their last post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post! I will be back when I get some time because I really do need to get brave and check some sidebar links on my blog. I also want to find a new service that sends email notifications out. But I'm such a chick about making changes on my blog for fear the whole thing will disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started using Follow It back when Google discontinued the one they had for Blogger. It seems to work okay.

      Delete
  6. P.S. You have some cool things in your Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned something new this morning. It's not blog maintenance, but it does deal with blogs, and using HTML. I only use that to add in Mister Linky for Sunday's post, it won't insert in "compose view." I had tried formatting an email in Gmail for a blog post (A to Z guest post, up now!) and I couldn't and used my usual email instead. Here's what the A to Z team leader told me...

    "To answer your question about formatting via gmail for a blog post -- there isn't a way. The best thing to do is format a post on your own blog, go to the html, copy it into notepad, and attach a txt file. Not everyone knows how to do that. Photos are best sent as attachments."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip. It's hard to email things when you need to format them in a specific way.

      Delete
  8. Anita Joy writing... I'm going to keep trying to get my blog comments to show as me, but for the minute I don't have time so anonymous it is today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those things that you need to spend some time and mental energy on. I understand that now is not that time.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.