Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Finding the Floor

Okay, my mind has turned to mush.

I finally finished following all my fellow Crusaders. Whew! You wouldn't think that something as simple as following others would be so hard, but just the physical act of clicking follow over 200 times...

It was a daunting task to start. It reminded me a bit of a "game" I used to play years ago when I worked retail (at a toy store that shall not be named).

There were times when my work area would be inundated with merchandise. It would take over. Boxes everywhere. It would get so bad that there was barely any room to walk. The thought of cleaning it up was too overwhelming.

The trick, of course, is to not look at the whole mess, but to take it in stages. Do a little bit at a time. Not worry about finishing the whole task, but just work on the one thing you can complete. So, bit by bit, I would get through all the boxes. Eventually, I would find the floor.

This is a nice metaphor for writing a novel as well.

Anyway, that's what I've been doing. I've been playing a blog version of Find the Floor. First, I had to follow everybody. I've finished that now. Next comes dropping by everyone's blog.

I've started the whole dropping by thing, but it's going to take some time before I get around to everyone's blog. If I do it little by little, box by box, I'll eventually get it done. I can again find the floor.

(I'm not much of a commenter, though. I only comment when I have something to say. This is true in real life, too.)

5 comments:

  1. It does take a while to follow 200 blogs. Then trying to keep up with them all is even tougher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello fellow crusader. Just dropped in to say hi to you and introduce myself as well as follow you. Thanks for the follow at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I'm doing the same, following in 25-50 people chunks, and I'm getting close. I think. LOL

    I told my students on Tuesday basically the same thing. The topic was enduring to the end and I used the running metaphor. I can run 13 miles, but I do it one mile at a time. It's the mental game that makes us winners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm following everyone, but finding that the daily/weekly upkeep is daunting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.