Tuesday, October 1, 2024

In Need of Transportation

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

A certain hurricane is on my mind with this week's question.

What if your neighborhood was required to evacuate due to an incoming hurricane (or similar event), but you had no way to get out of town? (So, your car is broken and/or you don't have the funds to pay for a bus or train to get out of town.) 

6 comments:

  1. All I could do was hope that a neighbor would take me with them, or someone would send funds. It was hard enough to evacuate with a car a few years ago during the Almeda fire nearby. Too much traffic and not enough freeway access to handle it. It's something we should think about, since we don't know what might happen. A friend's brother died in Katrina, he'd gone to the roof of his apartment, but it wasn't high enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can only hope a neighbor or some Good Samaritan takes you. I wonder how many people who perished in Helene were in just that kind of situation. As Lisa says, it is something we should think about. Our neighborhood was evacuated (at 2am!) in a flood in 2011 but we were out of town. One of our former neighbors waited too long and had to be rescued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are usually good in an emergency …I’d hope my neighbors would help …

    ReplyDelete
  4. Either my neighbors or someone from my church family would come get us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Humans do tend to help out in times of need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If my neighborhood was required to evacuate the city better bring in some busses for those who have no car. But if that didn't happen I know my grandson's father would come and get us.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.