Monday, September 14, 2015

Spider Eyes

A couple weeks ago I showed off the spider I had crocheted...


...and roughly half of you said he needed eyes while the other half said to leave as is. So, I've been contemplating how I could do eyes. I went to the craft store and found googly eyes, but I didn't think they'd work. Someone suggested painting eyes on...


This is step one. The paint is glow in the dark, which I thought would give it the right sort of look, but I don't think I like how this turned out. Perhaps I need to put some black over it, which will sort of look eye-y against the black body of the spider.

I did a little research, and most spider critters that are made for Halloween decor tend not to have visible eyes.

So, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. In the meantime, I'm still cranking out the critters...


And the paint thing gave me an idea about the jack-o-lantern...


Better. I need to work on getting the paint smoother (and figure out if I really want to use puffy paint for it).

What do you think? Eyes on the spiders? Any ideas for how to get eyes on the spiders? I really could use all of your input on this one.

19 comments:

  1. Not sure that works either. Real spiders have lots of eyes, so maybe it's best you don't add them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would go without the eyes and if a child is going to play with the spider, more than likely the eyes will end up coming off anyway. Cute pumpkin :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. No eyes! No eyes! I like them eyeless for my halloween decor or very cutesy cartoonish. The pumpkin is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to agree with everyone else. Leave the eyes off. Or if it is just for decoration, hot glue on the googly eyes!! These are so cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about the googly eyes, but I guess that's just me.

      Delete
  5. Glow-in-the-dark eyes? That's terrifying.

    I like the looks of the no-eyes spiders. Betty makes an excellent point about them coming off anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a fan of duplicate stitch for embroidering letters and numbers onto knitted items. That could work for making spider eyes and jack-o'-lantern features as well, although I'm not sure what the crochet equivalent is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to embroider the jack-o-lantern, but it's hard with the crochet stitches. If I had knitted the thing, it would have been easier.

      Delete
  7. The glow-in-the-dark thing is a good idea. What about a bead or something that you could sew on over the paint? Or a glow-in-the-dark bead for an eye? Or (yes, a third idea) you do glow-in-the-dark paint but leave a small section black so it looks like a pupil? Would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suggest the googly eyes from Michael's, and you could put just a dot of glowing paint in the center.
    Love the spiders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I have to go back to Michael's and pick up those googly eyes that I ignored the last time.

      Delete
  9. I am wondering if beads would work. I know one can get some large glass looking ones that you can stitch from behind and I would choose dark blue, purple, red to add to the creepy spider. My computer is working again-keep fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  10. As your site loaded I saw the giant spider and thought OH MY GOD and prepared to block this page forever. But actually those are neat.

    I like Googly Eyes. But if you don't want those, possibly felt? I'm not really a crafty person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like I'm the only one who doesn't like googly eyes, so I might just bite the bullet and get them. Sigh.

      Delete
  11. I vote for eyes. I like the bead idea mentioned above -- maybe dark-colored beads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like it better with eyes. The painted ones are sort of creepy, but that should be good for a Halloween decoration, right?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.