Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Familiar Face

Today I had an opportunity class.  I've blogged about them before: this time, that same week, still in that week, and a bit more recently.  The make-up of the class has changed a bit since then.  I only remembered two of the students from my last time in the class.

They started off surprisingly good, and then the 8th graders showed up.  Things went downhill from there.  After school I needed a little pick-me-up, so I went out to the local craft store.

I needed buttons for a top that I had knit (birthday present).  While I was there, I perused the yarn and some of the jewelry findings.  The continuation high school was forgotten.  I felt like myself again.

Then I heard a very familiar voice.  Two women were discussing something or other about the beads (or fabric--I wasn't listening).  I looked over at them.  One of them was one of the students from the continuation high school (she wasn't in today's class, but I've had her in so many classes that I remember her name).

I realized that I should have expected this.  I was just down the street from the school (only a couple miles up the road).  I know the girl saw me, but she was busy with the other woman, so I quietly walked away.

That was disconcerting.

It's not the first time I've encountered students out in public.  Usually they say something to me before I recognize them.  And usually it's not right after I was at their school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.