Thursday, September 17, 2026

Phone Forgotten

I was out the door on time Wednesday morning, even, maybe, a bit early. It was supposed to be a blazing hot day (we ended up with a high of 105°F--that's 41℃). I had been sweltering all night, and I was already drenched in sweat before leaving the house. 

I had noticed the day before that my usual route to work was under construction, so I took a slightly different route. Traffic wasn't an issue. Things were going well. 

And then, my Apple Watch buzzed. "Cell phone left behind". 

I was ten minutes away from my house. Do I go back for it? Do without? Do I have time to go back for it?

Well, no. I didn't really have time to go back for it. But, I turned around and went back for it, anyway. 

Now, of course, on the way back, I hit more traffic. Certain spots get congested with to-school traffic. And I knew. I made the wrong choice. I was going to be late. 

I called the school secretary. I have the school phone number on my phone, and I knew her extension, so while stopped at a red light, I called. I decided not to explain, just to apologize and say I was going to be late, but I would be there. Apparently there was an accident on the freeway, so she assumed that I was stuck in that. I did not correct her. 

I drove past the main office just in time to hear the one minute warning bell. I parked shortly after the bell rang to start first period. I joined the group of students coming into campus late. Security was there. She saw me. "You're for room 209?" Yup, that's me. She said that security had let the students into class. 

I had told the secretary I might be about ten minutes late. Turned out it was only five-ish minutes into the period when I got to the room. So, not too bad. 

The class was "early college academy" aka a college credit class they can take in high school. So, the kiddos had already gotten their computers and were logged in to the work they needed to do (presumably--they might have been doing something else as well, like typical high school students). 

I made sure that the official stuff got done (attendance, introductions, etc.), and then while they worked, I settled in for the day. By the end of class, I was in the rhythm of the school. And I needed my feet under me, as the other classes, especially the last class of the day, didn't go nearly as smoothly. 

The expectation is that we're supposed to be on campus about a half hour before school begins. So, by that metric I was very late. But we don't really get into trouble if we get there a bit later than that. We do need to be in class when school officially begins, though, so that was a fail. But, I haven't been that late on a day when I booked the assignment at a reasonable time in a very long time. (I have been late for very late calls, but that's another thing entirely.) 

8 comments:

  1. 105 degrees? Ouch. Tomorrow our high supposed to be 72 (sorry) but then again you don't deal with our snow. Plus some outlying areas got down into the 30's a couple of nights ago. At least you lucked out with the accident. What a difference a few minutes makes with traffic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today our high is supposed to be 80. Our temperatures have fallen off a cliff since last week (whew!).

      Delete
  2. 105° ! Dang I didn't realize it was getting THAT hot there again. It would be hard to go without a phone all day, I would've done the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was last week. This week things are much more reasonable.

      Delete
  3. I honestly am happy when I forget my phone if I go out. But of course if there are people who might need to get in touch with you, then it can be a problem. Although I remember a time when you just waited until you got home to learn the news or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was less worried about people getting in touch with me. If I had to log into a school computer, they have 2FA installed, meaning I get a text with a code to input if I want to log into my email.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I forget my phone. I really don't mind, as I have only had a cellphone for 2 years now. Good thing you weren't very late.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.