Wednesday, August 26, 2026

A Sudden Absence

Last Monday was the first day of school, and I caught an assignment for the whole week. (More about that in tomorrow's post.) However, I did not have a first period. This was a good thing, as first day of school, no teacher assigned to the class, so I was in scramble mode. 

Just before first period was to begin, I got a call. Could I cover a first period? 

The teacher, Mr. B, had been on campus. He had set up for the day. But, he suddenly got ill and had to go home. 

On the first day!?!

I don't doubt his illness. What concerned me was that there weren't any lesson plans. Uh, what do I do?

I got to the class at just about the bell. The class filed in. 

There were intro first day things written on the board. It was some sort of icebreaker activity. They were to get into groups or something, and I was unclear on what it was. 

The class was credit recovery. Generally, they'll work on whatever class they need to make up credits for. But that can't happen until they've been signed into the program. Which I could not do, not that I would on the first day. 

After I took roll, I flailed about for a bit, letting the class know that Mr. B was out ill, and then I noticed on a side table some worksheets. Score! 

They were simple things, like "about me" and "the importance of education". First day stuff. Okay, then, that works. 

It didn't quite take the whole period. But it was something. 

I had a whole first day thing ready for the class I had been booked for. If I had been thinking I would have brought it with me to that class. But no. 

You'd think by now I would know what to do in any situation. Nope. But at least the class had supervision. 

Mr. B was out all that first week. As I was on campus, I was able to find out. I hope he feels better soon. What a terrible time to suddenly take ill. 

And before anyone says it...

...yes, I know. (Via Jamie at Whatever I Think Of!)

2 comments:

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.