Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pawn

All this week I had been covering for a teacher at the continuation high school. He had surgery and has been recovering. He was out last week and will likely be out next week as well. I was contracted to cover this whole week. So, today was a surprise.

I got to the school and I got all set up. I was sitting in the classroom organizing things for the day when the assistant principal walked in. She informed me that I had been pulled and I was being sent to one of the regular high schools. What the...?

It made me feel a bit like a pawn on a chess board. I get moved from place to place to fill holes, and it doesn't really matter what happens to me. I'm expendable.

The class at the continuation high school? The school had to find a way to cover the absence. As I was leaving (just as the tardy bell rang and a half hour after the other high schools had started) the students for the class that I was to have covered were standing outside, waiting for class.

The reason I had been pulled was because there were a bunch of teachers out at the regular high school, and there weren't enough subs to cover them. So, it's not like I wasn't needed and busy today. I just felt kind of strange about it. Like I was letting people down even though none of this was my doing. I have to go where I'm told to go.

On the bright side, I'm on track for another bonus day this month (I already have a half day).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.