Friday, July 26, 2013

A Twinkie Conversation

A couple weeks ago, I picked up my niece and eldest nephew from the archery range. As we headed out to my car, the topic of bacon came up.

Bacon? Yep. Not sure why. I think nephew started it. Because niece is not a fan, and she said so. And nephew talked about chocolate covered bacon.

Which made me think of fair food. You know, deep fried everything? Deep fried bacon. Deep fried ice cream. Deep fried Twinkies.

Nephew: "What's a Twinkie?"

The eldest nephew is seven. Niece is twelve. Niece and I looked at each other, flabbergasted.

So, we described the snack cake known as "Twinkie" to nephew. He dismissed us pretty quickly. He knew what that was. (Although, he has a tendency to claim knowledge that he doesn't have, so whether or not he knew what we were talking about is debatable.)

By this time we had loaded up, were in the car, and I was pulling out. I mentioned how Hostess had gone bankrupt and how Twinkies were no more (note: this was just before they came back, although I was aware they were coming back and said something about it).

At this point, niece was amazed. She had not heard about the demise of the Twinkie.

I'm not sure whether I'm troubled or impressed. Troubled that a thing I thought was ubiquitous isn't. Impressed that Twinkies aren't a day to day occurrence in their home. I guess I'm a bit of both.

6 comments:

  1. What's a Twinkie?!?!?!? Though, to be fair, I don't think my niece (9 years old) knows what they are either.

    I talked about Twinkies on my blog today, too. Must be something in the air...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't had a Twinkie in years but immediately missed them when they were gone. When I saw a box in the store last week, I reached for them, stopped, then passed them by. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe their parents actually monitor the amount of junk food in their home. You'll have to sneak them some the next time you hang out ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twinkie!
    i remeber how yum they are haha. but i guess somehow unhygienic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. we never had junk food in our house growing up - but I used to love twinkies, in fact, I think I liked all Hostess products.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish Hostess every success. I've never been a Twinkie fan, but I certainly do miss Hostess Suzy-Qs. Funny, since I haven't eaten one in decades. I hear Suzies will be back on the shelf within the next month. A legend returns!

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.