Monday, September 28, 2026

A Raven, Kind Of

I hate deadlines. 

That raven that I've been working on is a birthday gift for my sister-in-law. Her birthday is Wednesday. 

She lives in Ohio.

So, if I wanted to get her gift to her before her birthday, I had to get it in the mail. I had hoped to mail it midweek. 

I got the body finished Tuesday. Wednesday I had hoped to get it all assembled. (And I'm already late getting this thing done to get it in the mail midweek.) 

I got the beak attached. I attached the feet to the legs and then the legs to the haunches. I attempted to attach the haunches to the body, but I ran into a bit of trouble. 

So, I detached the legs from the haunches and reattached, this time making sure to orient the feet just so. I went to attach the haunches to the body, and... 

Let me just say it did not go well. 

I tried to do it more than once. I attached, found it wasn't stitching right, and then I ripped it out. Five different times. 

Somehow one of the haunches is larger than the other. I don't know how this happened. I followed the instructions. I made two the same way. 

So, after two different nights over two hours, I gave up. I realized that I probably need to redo the haunches to make sure they are precisely the same size. 

Although, even if they were the same size, they didn't go onto the body well. I couldn't get it so the feet were under the body of the bird. They were at an angle. That's part of the reason why I kept ripping it out. 

If I had another week... 

I don't have another week. 

Then I looked at the bird... I mean, does it really need the feet? 

Ideally, I'd attach the feet. We're out of ideal territory.

I kind of like the birdie without feet. 

So, I'm declaring it done. Without feet. 

Sorry about the pictures. I took them, then packaged up the bird, and then got it into the mail. Otherwise, I'd redo them. 

I packaged everything Friday/Saturday. Got it into the mail on Saturday. Tracking shows it'll show up... Thursday. Sigh. 

Only a day late. Not ideal, but at least it's not nine months after (and counting). 

Now I really should get back to the reluctant sweater which was last Christmas' gift, but likely won't be done by this Christmas. Sigh. 

12 comments:

  1. I think it "sits" better without the feet. Probably less likely to topple over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cute! If she doesn't know about the feet, you're fine! If she does, she'll understand. And as tz_garden says, it sits better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she'll be okay with whatever I make for her. It's why she still gets handmade gifts from me.

      Delete
  3. I agree. What's the sense of a bird that can't stand up? Better this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposedly it was designed so it would stand. I would have been able to test that if I could have gotten the legs attached.

      Delete
  4. Works with or without feet. Save them for another bird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks good anyway in the pic. It is sitting, not standing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cute without the feet. And you tried five times to get it right.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.