Wednesday, May 5, 2021

The Giggles

A teacher at one of the high schools I sub at wrote a book about parents and teens and effective communication. She's looking for backers on Indiegogo. You can read (and watch her talk about the book on video) here.

Spring in eighth grade English means it's time for them to read The Diary of Anne Frank. Because eighth grade, we read the play version. 

Reading plays in class can be fun. Parts are assigned. If you have the right mix of kiddos, they can get into it. Some do a voice. Some get engaged in their roles.

Alas, with the hybrid thing, things are different.

Getting kiddos at home to turn on their microphones and respond is hard. Those that do often have background noise: dogs barking, babies crying, siblings making noise, etc. But since we have kiddos in class, we have willing volunteers to read. 

Okay, maybe "willing" is stretching it a bit. It's more like I told them they were reading, and they didn't contradict me. And with few kiddos in class, everyone in class got a speaking part, so it wasn't like any one of them were getting singled out. They all had to, ahem, suffer the same fate. 

Sixth period. I had four students in class.

Scene 1, Act 2 has eight speaking parts. I divvied up the parts so each boy got two roles. And away we went.

Only... Adam had the giggles. 

When he wasn't speaking (he was playing Anne and Miep), it was fine. The kiddos at home didn't hear him as he kept his microphone muted. But when it was his turn to read...

He had to try to gather himself together. Then he'd get a sentence or two out only to burst into laughter again. Luckily, he didn't have too much to do in the scene.

Why was he laughing? I have no idea. He blamed another boy's picture in the meet. (With cameras off, a picture holds their place on screen. Very few students use their actual pictures, so it was some odd image.) But I doubt that was what caused the giggle fit. 

Somehow, we made it through the scene.

With the at home and in class groups thing being awkward, I took some time to search, and I found an audio version of the play

The one day a week we're all distance (kind of a long story as to how the whole thing works), I teased the recording. I asked the class how they enjoyed reading in class. As expected, the in-class kiddos weren't so enthused about having to read. (The at-home kiddos rather enjoyed it, though.)

When I told them I had found a recording, the in-class students cheered. (Yay! in the chat counts as cheering.) But not Adam. Adam said he rather enjoyed reading in class. 

But the rest of sixth period were happy. It seems that they didn't get a whole lot out of our reading of that scene as the kiddos in the classroom did.

Not surprising, really. I could probably say the same about most things school-related.

18 comments:

  1. He may have felt embarrassed

    Great play, though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe. It's a small class of all boys, though. I wonder if he's not just in play mode a bit.

      Delete
  2. When I'm nervous, I can get the giggles. I used to get them when I was doing jury trials when I couldn't let it out. That's cool that you are having the kids read plays, like about the life of Anne Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My godson's English class (also doing the hybrid thing) was reading Macbeth not too long ago and, from what I heard about it, it seems they had similar experiences to yours.

    Whenever I did reading aloud in class with my kids, they all groaned at the start, but usually (for the most part) got into it before the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't realized there was a play version of it, although I'm not surprised there is. When I was in eighth grade, we just read the full book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God only knows what was going through that boy's head at the time.
    That must be really awkward with half in person and half at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't be able to act professional. If anyone has a giggling fit I have to start laughing too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah giggles. It can ruin a many good reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see girls giggling but a boy? Something tickled his fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have all got the giggles when we are not supposed to so who knows why. It could have been because he had to play 2 girls, boy antics or something he recalled seeing earlier in the day. I love The Diary of Anne Frank and read it every year I was in high school and a few times after that. I was privileged and humbled enough to actually go to the place she and her family hid in in Amsterdam. Makes COVID19 issues minuscule by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first instinct is boy antics, but who knows?

      Delete
  10. Oh my, it must have been funny just looking at him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know there was a lay version of the book. I remember when I first read the book. I was about 10 I'm guessing and had no idea of how it ended. I'd become very invested in Anne's life so it was a shocker for me. I've read it many times since and still wish I could rewrite the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Giggles like that upset the rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Liz - giggles are always happy, yet of course interrupt and can irritate others ... such is life of the teenage years. Anne Frank a fairly challenging story of real life for children to relate to ... I'm pleased to see it's being read. Interesting to read up - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope it was not because of Anne Franck, probably because he was stressed?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.