Tuesday. Eighth grade U.S. history, fourth period.
Mr. R, who was on campus at some meeting or other, told me that his fourth period class was really good, his sixth period class was meh, and his eighth period class... Well, he'd be stopping by to get them started off in the right way.
(Note: Mr. R did drop by eighth period. He did talk to them about how they should behave. And they proceeded to spend the period not behaving well at all. Unsurprisingly.)
So, I had high expectations for fourth period. Which they did not meet. Deep sigh.
The bell had barely rung when I noted a boy folding paper. I didn't look too closely as I was busy taking attendance. They were supposed to be doing a quick write and then reading in their textbook. (Mr. R had written the list of what they needed to do on the board. It was very clear.)
Hutton (the boy folding paper) then turned and passed the paper back to the boy in the seat two seats behind him. As Winston received it, I could see what it now was. A paper airplane.
"How cliché."
Yes, I said that. However, eighth graders do not know what cliché means.
(They also do not know what it means to abbreviate nor do they know what state abbreviates to Conn. Those are two questions I got repeatedly all day.)
Winston handed off the paper airplane to Axel who then did the obvious thing with it. Just as I said not to.
To his credit, Axel did retrieve it and then threw it out.
If it had stopped there, well, no harm done. But those three boys... They had lost their focus, and no matter what I did, they could not figure out how to do the assignments.
(They were to compare and contrast the Pilgrims and the Puritans. Then they had a map of the 13 colonies to label and color. It wasn't hard, and they had all the stuff they needed. Well, except their attention.)
It was a problem I had with them all day. I directed them on what to do. I pointed out that it was all written on the board for their reference. I passed out papers and gave them instructions on the next thing when the previous thing should have been completed. But eighth graders with a sub. It just wasn't happening.
So, I resorted to my usual consequence for these sorts of things. I left names.
The next even day (the school is on a block schedule), I was sitting in sixth period, minding a very good class, when Mr. R walked in. He had notes of apology to deliver.
He had had a conversation with Hutton, Winston, and Axel. And they were required to express their contrition in writing.
(Mr. R was just going to leave the notes with the secretary to give to me, but she informed him that I was on campus.)
Apology notes are always fun. Hopefully, the boys learned something from the exercise.


Commending Mr. R. for delivering those apology notes...
ReplyDeleteIt was nice of him.
DeleteHe sounds like he is going to give them consequences for their actions, for the whole year!
ReplyDeleteIt is nice that you received the notes!
ReplyDelete