Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Late Call

I work as a substitute teacher. I don't think I mentioned that.

So today, like every day since school started (on the 6th in case you're keeping track) I was waiting for an early morning call. (Usually I call ahead to get assignments, but as this is the beginning of the year, planned absences are light.) When I awoke at 6:38, I figured that I was not working again today.

I laid in bed, and I panicked. It's getting close to the end of the pay period, and this check is looking mighty light. But what can I do? All I can do is wait.

Then the phone rang.

I was astounded. I figured that the sub caller must be looking ahead. So, I was pleasantly surprised when she asked, "Are you available today?" Hell, yeah! Though, I was going to be late.

School starts at 7:55 AM. If I was to get there on time (and by "on time" I mean a half hour early) I would have to leave by 7 AM. I got the call at about 6:50-something. This is very late. Usually I get called some time between 5:30 and 6. Factor in the time it takes to get ready, and that meant that I was leaving the house at the time that I should have already been at the school.

Nothing to do when you get called late. It happens. If the sub caller gets the call late, then I'm not getting the call any earlier.

I got there as quickly as I could while still getting my morning routine done (I do need to get dressed, after all). And I got there at about the same time as the final bell. What a way to start the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.