Signs I've been subbing too long:
When I got the keys for the day, the secretary told me that Mr. J was in room 908. But I knew that was wrong. I knew that Mr. J was in room 911. Room 908 doesn't really exist. So, I asked for the key to room 911.
I got to where Mr. J's room was, between rooms 910 and 912, and sure enough, the door now says room 908. I tried the key for 908, but it didn't work. I tried the key for 911 which did.
So... why? One day (a day I was on the campus for, it happened last year when I was in that vacant art class) people on campus tried calling Mr. J in his classroom. The number to dial is the room number. But on this day, that 911 ended up going straight to the outside emergency line, and it broke the entire school's phone system.
They reprogrammed his phone to extension 908 (as nothing else worked and that extension number was free), and I guess they had to make the room number match the extension number.
Once in the room I found no lesson plans. But as the kiddos were arriving, the phone rang. Mr. J. I knew he wasn't going to leave me hanging, but he was running late, and he let me know to stall until he got there. (He was going to be out of class for a meeting, but he'd be on campus.)
And after getting the kiddos going (he got there shortly after I took roll), he promised to put another assignment into Google Classroom for the students who were ahead. Alas, he did not do this as once he got to his meeting he got involved in his meeting.
(I texted him to remind him, but he didn't check his phone until way later. Not in time for that class, but he put the assignment in for the next group.)
The class? Eighth grade science.
The last class of the day was 8th grade success. It's basically a study skills class. Mr. J had thrown together a plan, and I was in the process of getting them started when another adult arrived. She explained that she was there to do a drug prevention presentation to the group.
Considering how the day had gone thus far, I was not terribly surprised that Mr. J had forgotten.
Did the kiddos pay attention? Once the presenter bribed them with candy, they were more receptive to the information.
Some days...

I had to laugh at the other key working.
ReplyDeleteI *knew*. It helps to know.
DeleteLol! Candy for the win!
ReplyDeleteYeah!
DeleteShe knew her audience.
DeleteCandy always make me perk up! 😀
ReplyDeleteI mean, candy is a good motivator.
ReplyDeleteRough day. But candy bribes work.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely.
DeleteMost of us are more attentive when bribed with a treat! It sounds like someone pressed 911 before whatever button made it an inside line. Since that could happen again, and again, it makes since to have no room 911.
ReplyDeleteYou have to hit something first to make it an outside line. Otherwise, it goes to a district extension. It was a really bizarre glitch.
DeleteI could be easily be bribed with caramel.
ReplyDeleteI think if you take the keys to Room 911 for use, you have to accept the mishigas that goes around with it.
ReplyDeleteRenaming the room to match the phone extension is such a school solution, I’d have given up and used 908 too. Over here the emergency number is 112, so that’s the room that would go missing. And a surprise presentation at the end of that day, I hope you got some of the candy as well.
ReplyDeleteCandy bribes are good.
ReplyDeleteCandy can be an effective bribe even at my age (as long as it's chocolate).
ReplyDelete