Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Feed Reader Accessible

Whenever I get a comment from a blogger I have not met before, the first thing I do is to add them to my Feedly. (I talked about this last year.) Whether or not we end up regularly interacting, it's easier to have access to the latest posts without my having to search for them every time. (I especially do this in April, because otherwise I would not be able to keep up.) 

But this doesn't always work. 

I already wrote about how I can't do this if I can't find a link to the blogger's blog. But I ran into another issue not that long ago. I easily found the blogger's blog, but Feedly could not add the blog to my roll. 

Uh oh... 

When I'm visiting other blogs, I use my feed reader. They're all collected in one place for me. I don't have to go searching. I don't have to keep track of anyone's schedule. If a blogger who's been dormant suddenly reappears, I see the post. If a blogger took some time off, I'm not hitting up their blog daily only to find no new post. 

The system isn't foolproof. Sometimes the feed reader won't update in a timely fashion. I generally have my posts publish at 6 AM Pacific Time. I've had my posts show up hours later. But generally, to keep up with dozens of blogs, the system works well enough. 

Unless I can't add the blog to my feed reader. 

I went looking for an alternative. Did the blogger have an email subscription? No? 

So, how am I supposed to remember to check this blog? I'm going to have to hope that they comment on my blog when they have a new post?

This is why today I'm asking you: is your blog is available to add to a feed reader? 

It is generally a good idea to have ways for a reader to keep up with your blog. If you look at my sidebar, you'll see several options for mine. 

"Subscribe To" is one of the options when setting up things for the sidebar. "Follow By Email" is via Follow It. I created an account, and they provided this graphic for the sidebar. (I did a post about adding gadgets to the sidebar a while ago.) 

The "Followers" is also a selection in the sidebar tools. "Follow on feedly" and "Follow me on bloglovin'" I got from both of those readers. If you click either of them, it'll help you add my blog to your account there (or you could set up an account there to follow my blog and all the other blogs you follow). 

Since everyone blogs differently, I've tried to have as many options as I know about so other bloggers can keep track of me easily. (If there's another option I don't have, please let me know in the comments so I can add it there.) 

And so, it might be time to check to see if your blog can be accessed by the feed readers. 

Is your RSS enabled? Blogger help has an article for your reference

Go into "Settings" and scroll down to "Site Feed". 

As you can see, I have "Full" enabled. You have a choice:

"Full" means that if someone goes to the feed reader, they can see my full post. "Until Jump Break" and "Short" mean that the feed reader only shows a short portion of the post. I generally click through and go to the actual post on the blog, because you can't leave comments on the feed reader. But, some might just read the post and not interact, so I can see why some might not want to enable "Full". 

And that should do it. It's easy enough to check that it works by uploading your blog to the feed reader of your choice. (It's a good idea to do this as it's a good check for you. I've caught issues with my blog a few times.) 

Do you use a feed reader? How do you keep track of the blogs you follow? 

2 comments:

  1. Your tutorials are awesome, my dear; my ability to comment on Strayer's blog has finally been reinstated. So thank you for that and reminding me of the word malapropism. Yogi Berra's ludicrous misspoken sentences are legendary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blog on WordPress, and I can easily access the blogs I follow on the Reader (= the WordPress version of a blog feed), even if they are from Blogger. I think my blog can be easily added to any feed.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.