Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Two Subs


I've mentioned before that one of my favorite assignments is subbing for a co-teacher. It's great to have someone in the room who knows the routine. But lately, it seems that many times when I have a co-teaching assignment, both teachers are out. Leaving the class with two subs covering.

Monday I subbed for a special ed teacher I'd covered before. (Namely, in the above link. She was the high school teacher there.) Which was funny as I'd covered the other half of the teaching team in her 3rd period the previous week. It was in 4th period that we had two subs.

I hate to speak ill of another sub, but this guy was kinda useless. It was a freshman class, and they had a quiz followed by silent reading time. He handed off the lesson plans to me, and proceeded to spend the whole period on his phone while sitting at the teacher's desk at the back of the room.

Me? I spent much of the period going after the four boys who refused to read. Because someone had to do it.

Thursday I was back in the class I started the year in. This time I was covering the special ed teacher.

My co-teacher for the first two classes was running late, but he got there before the final bell. (Considering I did the exact same thing the previous day at another school, I have no cause to complain.) He proceeded to jump right in and get the class going.

The class responded to him very well, and we got through the two classes we had together easily. It was so nice to not have to do it all myself. In fact, he was the one doing most of the work. I was just there for support. (He explained the assignment; I walked the room to deal with the students who were causing distractions.)

It's interesting to see other subs' teaching styles. We rarely get to spend much time comparing notes, so it's nice to have days like this.

12 comments:

  1. That first sub gives substitute teachers a bad name with his attitude of just basically being a place holder in the class. Glad you had an opportunity to work with a sub that rose to the occasion and actually earned his paycheck for the day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wonder about some subs. Not many, really. There are more like the second guy than the first.

      Delete
  2. Yeah. That first guy does sound pretty useless. Glad the other guy was an improvement. Having some support makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes you wonder why they decide to become teachers in the first lace, doesn't it? Glad you had better experience with other guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know. If you're not there to manage the class, why bother?

      Delete
  4. What is they say about twenty percent who do eighty percent of the work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And people criticize the kids for not doing their assignments! Good thing you had better subs to pair with in other classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How old was that one sub..15? He seems as bad as some of the students you have had. Glad the last one was so good and you could compare "notes".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the second guy was good! The first guy sounds like some of the subs my kiddos have told me about! Shameful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish that subs like that didn't exist. They give the rest of us a bad name.

      Delete
  8. sounds wonderfully relaxing. Last year I shared a translation of a book with my editor, she did half, I did the other half and it was wonderfully relaxing too to share the work with someone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly some teachers are like that first sub. I guess there are people like that in every profession. Grrs. Glad the second one went better!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.