I've been subbing too long. That's what this is. Because today's story has quite a bit of backstory.
Wednesday. Senior government, special ed. Third period.
It was day one of a three-day assignment for a teacher I did a long-term assignment for three years ago. So, I knew what the lesson plan would be going in. (And I was right.)
As the class filed in, I greeted many students I already knew. They had been sophomores in that special ed world history class I covered in February/March of 2025. They had been a good group. A fun group. So, I wasn't too worried.
Well, except for Ariyah. She's not a bad kid, but she had a wandering problem.
We were to go to a launch event in the gym. California is doing a free community college thing, and there's a community college just down the street from this high school. That community college has partnered with the high school, and so personnel from the college spend the year getting the seniors all set up so they can slide right into college after graduation.
(I ran into the end of the sequence last school year. This was the beginning.)
I got roll taken (quickly, as I already knew most of the kiddos), and we headed out to the gym.
Remembering the last time I was in this position, I made sure to keep an eye on Ariyah. Did she follow along to the gym? Of course not. She "had to use the restroom", which was code for meeting up with a friend. I walked on ahead to keep up with the rest of the class, but I did note when Ariyah did arrive in the gym. She took a seat in the bleachers. Whew.
The group from the community college ran through their program. A lot of it would be new information for the seniors.
I saw when Ariyah got up (with a friend) and walked out of the gym. Deep sigh.
Did she return? Of course not.
But the program didn't take the whole period, so the kiddos went back to class. And Ariyah did actually return.
So, I asked. She claimed that she had not left. I said I saw her leave. She said she had been outside with security. I could call and check.
(Which security person? If I just call "security", I wouldn't get an answer.)
Uh huh. Sure. But again, she's only hurting herself missing things that will be useful for her.
Ms. M, the instructional assistant, said Mr. B gives her a long leash. So, I mentioned this in the note. The next time I had Ariyah in class, she only left for a reasonably timed restroom break. So, maybe not a major issue? I don't know for sure. Mr. B will take care of it.

"Which security person?" is the question that gets the story straight, hard to argue with that one. Good that she only took a normal restroom break the next time you had her. Hope the college program still reached her friends at least.
ReplyDeleteThis was only the launch event. Most of the rest of it takes place in individual classes, so it's harder to ditch.
DeleteAt least she knows you follow up on her excuses. The college program sounds like a good one.
ReplyDeleteI try to hold them accountable.
DeleteToo many disparage community college. They fail to realize it's the first two years of "real" college! My oldest son was able to go during high school, and in our district (CA) got the college credits and 3x the high school credits. A neighboring district required the students to pick one, high school or college credit. He only paid $1 per unit.
ReplyDelete