Pages

▼

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Stylin' the Eighties

Chemistry. Tuesday, eighth period. 

The lesson plan for the day was for them to complete some surveys the district was requiring of all the high school students. Mr. U said that it should take the whole period, but teenagers rush through things, so many were finished with much time to spare. 

Mostly they were sophomores, and mostly sophomores know how to not make a nuisance of themselves when they've finished their work. Most have learned how to sneak onto video games. 

But not Jessie. No. Jessie first distinguished himself by taking 20 minutes in the restroom. In a building where the restroom was steps away from the classroom. Deep sigh. 

I'm not going to list all of Jessie's misdeeds, mostly because as I write this it's been four days since I covered the class and I've forgotten exactly what it was that made him stand out. Self preservation, I think. I can't keep all of the silly things they do at the forefront of my memory. 

Why Jessie made the blog has to do with the last thing he talked about, just before the final bell rang. 

He asked me if I wanted to cut it off. Cut what off? 

He reached around his neck and pulled out a long, narrow braid... 

A rat's tail?!?

Suddenly, I was a seventh grader again. I think that's the last time I saw one of those. They're back? Really? 

So, I said the first thing that popped into my head. 

"1983 called. They want their hairstyle back." 

But the bell rang at the same time, so Jessie did not hear me. 

I'm not upset. It was a rather weak joke. It's been made hundreds of times. Just not about rat's tails. 

Rat's tail. 

Wow. 

I did not expect to see that style return. 

20 comments:

  1. LOL. Yeah...there were definitely some unflattering hairstyles in the 80's. When mullets came back, I was gagging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't a fan of them then, I'm surprised they came back - well for a few anyway. Hahaha, I've had some questionable hairstyles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. They were ridiculous. As were the boys that sported them. (As I recall, I didn't like those boys much.)

      Delete
  3. Not only are the 80s back, the 60s and 70s are. I feel like these "edgy" teens wouldn't feel so "edgy" if they knew their grandparents, and even great-grandparents, had the same style they think they discovered! I will say, 80s and 90s hair (along with late 70s) was pretty bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, it's better than the boys' usual hairstyle. Imagine grown out, longer hair. That they haven't bothered to comb. Bedhead, in the extreme. That's what I see on the daily.

      Delete
  4. Everything old is new again! I am waiting for leggings and big shirts to return…

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a rat's tail in the 80's! I was blond at the time so I dyed it green. I still have it in a scrapbook somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A rat nest was common term back in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Classic high school behavior! Taking 20 minutes in the bathroom only to cap off the period by offering to let you cut off his rat’s tail—Jessie certainly knows how to leave an impression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was an offer. More of a challenge.

      Delete
  8. No one was asking for the return of the rat's tail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anita Joy writing...I didn't like them in the 80s and they've already made a return here (a year or so ago) but seem to have gone again. Mullets were also back, but they aren't quite so big. It's the moustache comeback that is making me grimace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so it's Australia's fault... (I'm willing to blame you all for this.)

      Delete
  10. They say that if you wore it the first time it was in style you shouldn’t wear it when it comes back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was stupid when I was 12, and I think it's stupid now. No chance I'll try it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.