Pages

▼

Tuesday, October 6, 2026

One Burning Question

Last week there was one topic all over social media. The first time I saw anything about it, it was a post that sounded like this was an issue that had been known everywhere for weeks. But I got up to speed pretty quickly. 

I'm talking about the Cornell 7. 

And if you're unfamiliar, that link goes to Wikipedia. That's a pretty good summary if you're unfamiliar. I'm not going to delve into it here. 

But I do have one "hot take". Most of social media has hit most of the good talking points already, so there's no need for me to rehash. However, there is one thing I have not heard that I've been thinking. 

I've been thinking about the whole "but we can't ruin these young men's lives" people. I have one question for them: 

What terrible assault did you commit as a young man that you got away with? 

Because, seriously, if they're identifying with the perpetrators in this scenario, that does not bode well for their humanity. 

This is not really "resisting" content, though, so here's a "resisting" video. Warning: adult language. 

This video is from August, but he's been posting hot takes like this daily. 

10 comments:

  1. Cornell's response is as bad as the act - consequences for ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frats should all be abolished

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the viewpoint of someone who lives an hour or so from Cornell and has been on their campus a number of times - yes, I believe Jane Doe 1000%. and I also know that Cornell is a powerful force in the city and town of Ithaca and also Tompkins County. To quote a cliche, if Cornell says jump, they ask how high. I read a piece from, I think, the Wall Street journal, talking about how one of the chats the 7 sent called Jane Doe "the shop" ("the shop is open") and maybe that says it all - she wasn't a person, she was an object for them to abuse. A shop whose life was ruined. Both Cornell and the 7 need to be held accountable and so do other colleges and universities that are full of young women who feel unsafe for good reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your commentor who called for Consequences for All. Not just essays and suspensions. I also hope that other cases that were swept under the large, powerful Cornell rug can have the light of truth finally shone on them. Let justice be served.

      Delete
  4. It's terrible that these guys and other guys still have the mentality that they did nothing wrong. I'm of the opinion that fraternities shouldn't be a thing anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is infuriating to see what men get away with. No mention of ruining a young woman's life ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Liz. It's a heavy subject, and I can see why it has stayed on your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing is more dangerous than a group of young men who think they are entitled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So horrible! I'm so lucky that nothing like this happened to me in college. Because I made a lot of drunken mistakes.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.