Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2026

Naturally, Of Course

Wednesday. Seventh grade world history. Fifth period. 

The kiddos had work in their Google Classroom. They had vocabulary words and questions to answer. Easy enough. 

They were working pretty well, for seventh graders. There were a couple not doing much. One boy kept turning to the boy behind him, annoying the second boy. The usual. 

I went to look something up on my computer when I got the spinning wheel of doom. I tried a different tab, and spinning wheel of doom. Oh no.

A student noted that they couldn't get something to load on their computer. 

Crap! Did the internet just go down? 

I called the office. The internet had just gone down. 

Deep sigh. 

Why does this always happen when the work is all online?

The teacher had left extra work in case the kiddos finished early. They could work on other class's work. Mr. D also left word searches. Okay, then. 

I announced to the kiddos that without internet they could not finish their online work, but they could work on, and then I gave the list. Several of them pulled out the success assignment (as I had had them earlier in the day). Several of them wanted to attempt the word searches. One girl pulled out her book, and she asked me if I liked to read. (She said I looked like someone who likes to read. I think she meant that as a compliment.) 

I no longer had the good, studious behavior I had had before. But, that couldn't be helped. At least they had something to do. 

The internet returned towards the end of seventh period. At least the seventh period class, another success class, had work on paper. 

23 comments:

  1. Is that an ongoing issue? Or is it a rare occurrence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere between the two. It's not ongoing, but it's frequent enough that I realized it might be the school wifi rather than some weird classroom issue.

      Delete
  2. Hi Liz, I hope that it gets resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The internet was working before the end of the day.

      Delete
  3. It is a shame that we all have become entwined in modern technology that everything resolves around its existence. My job is 100% dependent on the Internet; if it (or my wifi, for that matter) goes down, as a part timer, I don't get paid. Fortunately, you had a backup. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the downside of them having the assignment online.

      Delete
  4. I like good old-fashioned books. They never let me down. Unless they are boring, but I mean in the losing connections way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but the whining. Yesterday I had a class with a good, old-fashioned read-the-chapter-and-answer-the-questions-on-paper assignment. And guess what? The kiddos wouldn't read the chapter. And then couldn't figure out how to answer the questions. It was irritating.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad it was sorted out by the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly sounds like the internet is playing hopscotch but in the classroom? You can happily put it in the time out corner, kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, they're not happy when the internet goes down. Then they can't play their games.

      Delete
  7. We have the same 8nternet issues at my office, very frustrating

    ReplyDelete
  8. zippiknits.blogspot.comSeptember 10, 2026 at 6:47 PM

    Finally! Anon comment was me.. sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone's been having issues signing in with Blogger to comment. I did a couple posts about it over the summer. That's why I allow anonymous comments--because sometimes Blogger won't let people log in.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I mean, the air conditioning is working (for these blazing hot days).

      Delete
  10. I didn’t know kids were online in actual classrooms! Guess I am old…

    ReplyDelete
  11. Without Internet, life is almost impossible now!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.