Did you know it's illegal to vote in an election you're casting a vote in (in Wisconsin)?
(I would hope that this wasn't isolated to Wisconsin. Time to call your state reps to get this law on the books. *looks up phone number for my California state rep*)
It turns out that those prediction market betting apps don't like this law, so they're pushing back. (Because those prediction market betting apps are horrible. If you want to gamble--please gamble responsibly--use a bookie like an adult.)
It turns out the road to fascism is paved by idiots pursuing riches. Deep sigh.
Speaking of scams, let's talk about all the research funding that was cut to provide tax cuts for billionaires. Or rather, let's talk about Daniel Blumstein, whose funding for studying marmots had been cut, so in an effort to raise money (and awareness), he started an OnlyFans for marmots called OnlyMarms.
It's a great idea. It's too bad that science funding has had to resort to this sort of thing.

I’m not quite understanding that voting thing. If I’m registered to vote, I can’t vote? That makes no sense. I feel so bad for all the sciences and arts losing funding. Those crooks in the office need to go. I think said that before.
ReplyDeleteI think she was talking about election betting. https://www.npr.org/2026/07/27/nx-s1-5905360/kalshi-wisconsin-election-betting-prediction-markets
DeleteEven more proof that this administration is heartless.
ReplyDeleteI love that researchers care enough to try to study groundhogs, especially since people tend to be so mean to them. I'm convinced that part of the reason I have so many in my yard is because of all the construction locally. People take away their habitat and then get upside when they try to live in the neighborhood that replaced their meadow.
I didn't need another reason to hate this administration, but now I have one more.
Thinking about how our taxes $ is wasted is the most frustrating thing! Ugh!
ReplyDeleteI don’t think everyone understands that important scientific breakthroughs are often made by studying “silly” things. We just don’t know which “trivial” animal study might result in help for a human disease, so it’s best to encourage/ fund as much data collection as possible…
ReplyDeleteI didn't understand your first paragraph so I had to google it and now I say hurrah for Wisconsin. The prediction markets have just become too dangerous. As for the New York Times article, thank you for gifting it to your readers. I have mixed feelings about some of these studies. As one of your commenters said, sometimes something silly ends up becoming quite important, but we also have to be careful how the government's (which is really we the people's money) money is spent. The current administration doesn't investigate; they just slash and burn.
ReplyDeleteOnlymarms. lol 🤣🤣
ReplyDelete