Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Such a Karen

Monday. Fifth period accounting. 

They were half doing the assignment, half talking about random stuff. 

The phone rang. It was the attendance office. Demetrius was going home.

This happens a lot. When a student has an appointment or the parent wants to pick them up for any reason, they go to the attendance office. The attendance office calls the class. They tell me who they need. And I send the kiddo.

Many times the student is expecting the call and will already be ready to go. I've had a couple times where the phone rings and the student leaves before I even have a chance to say anything. But usually we at least exchange a glance.

I checked the seating chart for where Demetrius was. I called his name. I told him to get his stuff, he was going home.

Only, he wasn't happy about it.

"Really. On a Monday*... Why? Why do I have to leave? I don't want to leave."

At this point, it's not up to me. He's been summoned. I told him he could take it up with the individual who had shown up to pick him up. 

He left. 

His friends...

"If Demetrius was a girl, he would be a Karen." 

I couldn't help it. I laughed. 

Demetrius didn't return to class. I assume there was a reason he was picked up.

*Monday is our short day, when school starts an hour and a half later and the classes are shortened. 

12 comments:

  1. HAHA.....but what confuses me is that he did not want to leave SCHOOL??? How many kids have the chance to leave and don't want to? HAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Most students are so thrilled to be picked up early.

      Delete
    2. I wonder what he didn’t want to do.

      Delete
    3. I don't think he knew why he was being picked up. If he had known, we would have heard a different complaint.

      Delete
  2. Whatever he was going to must have been worse than school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't there a male name equivalent now for a Karen? I saw it osmewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. And clearly they didn't know it. I'll look out and see if it pops up around me sometime.

      Delete
  4. I think the male version of Karen is Richard.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be among those women named Karen who, seemingly overnight, discover that millions of people are using their name to describe someone who is bigoted and hateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had three friends named Karen in high school. I wonder how they're doing now.

      Delete
  6. I have a feeling he did something really naughty and home was calling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they picked him up from school? I think it's far more likely that he had a dental appointment or something.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.