Friday, January 27, 2023

Kicking Him Out

Friday. Snack time. 

(Snack is a ten minute pause between the first and second classes of the day.)

All the students filed out of the room, except for one. He was still on his computer, playing a game...

I gave him a minute or so. Then I headed over.

"Time to go."

"Just a couple more minutes? If I exit the game now, I lose points..."

Now, besides the fact that he should have spent class time on, oh, I don't know, maybe his math assignment rather than a video game, I wasn't about to grant him the time as it was my break time.

Because of the way the block schedule is set up at this school, after snack, I have a long two classes to get through before lunch. This is a little more than three hours. That's a little more than three hours until I can once again leave the room and use the restroom.

I told him I needed the restroom, so he had to leave. He stalled.

"I'll close the door when I'm done."

I had been warned not to let the students near the teacher's stuff as she had experienced some thefts. I was no way no how leaving a student in the classroom unattended. 

Apparently his game finished, and he logged off his computer, grabbed his stuff, and left. 

I still had enough time to make it to the restroom and back before the next class. 

But I mean, seriously? He knew when the period ended. I gave a clean up warning minutes before that bell rang. He couldn't have figured out that he didn't have time for another round of his game? 

18 comments:

  1. Somehow I don't think time management is in his skillset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine thinking he'd be alone and shut the door when he was through!
    Our break was called "brunch" and it was a bit longer, maybe 20 minutes. It must have been that long, because the cafeteria sold the best, hot, gooey, sticky rolls! They were huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we got breaks that long. And I wish they had food like that. Only on clubs day do they sell food like that.

      Delete
  3. I am amazed at how many of these students think the teachers are stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not amazed. Just resigned to the fact that kids think they know everything

      Delete
    2. There are teachers who would let the kid stay in class. I mean, that's cool when there's a relationship between the student and teacher. The teachers know who they can trust. But I don't know them that well and can't take the chance.

      Delete
  4. The closest thing to playing a game when I was in school was passing notes or the game were you make a square of dots and take turns drawing lines and making squares. Dots and Boxes, I think it is called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I've seen them play that game. Not so much anymore now that they have computers, but they used to.

      Delete
  5. In these days a cell phone can be great. You have it if you break down to call a tow, you have it too look up things when you are out that you need to know, if you have to call someone when you are out to have a question answered, its great....however my thoughts of allowing them in schools is not so great. I don't think kids should be allowed to have them out in school, let alone playing games. I also feel like they are the downside of life when you are in the bathroom and people are on them. Or when you are in conversation with someone and they keep looking at their phone, or watch. Or you are out to dinner but people sat and play games, surf FB or text, not to mention taking calls when you should be paying attention to the person you are eating with....its for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but if he'd been playing the game on his phone, he could have walked out of the room with the game still going. He couldn't take the class computer with him (which is what the game was on). Let's not get started on the nightmare of cell phones. I have thoughts.

      Delete
  6. My classroom was 2 football size away from the toilet. I was young then, my bladder could handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I'm sure you didn't want to hold it for three plus hours more if you didn't have to. Even when you were young ;)

      Delete
  7. Ugh, I get that with my Barbarians...dinner? now? but I will get [insert penalty] for leaving the game now. They've learnt I will just turn off the internet so we don't have a problem anymore (and an easier solution than you have access to).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Video games... how easy to lose track of time. Maybe he thought he had time for another game ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.