Thursday, August 11, 2022

Denied

Today is the first day of school. But, I write my blog posts over the previous weekend, so everything I talk about happened last week. 

The only schools open last week were the alternative education center and the continuation high school. It was just a matter of time before a working day became available, this one at the continuation high school. (It has been a while since I was last there, but not much really changes.)

Second period. As the students entered class, I overheard Natasha ask the PE teacher (Coach M) if she could go to his class instead. Coach hesitated, started to say yes if she promised to join in the game, then changed his mind when he realized that she would just sit by, and he ultimately said no.

Twenty-five minutes into class (probably not realizing I saw the previous exchange), Natasha asked if she could join the PE class. She told me Coach said she could. 

Luckily, the PE class was shooting baskets right outside my door. 

So, we both went outside. I got Coach's attention. Natasha asked to join the class. 

Coach said he already had eleven playing the game (perhaps Horse, although I can't be certain), and she'd only sit, so no. Again.

I mean, she could sit inside with the air conditioning or outside in the (muggy) heat. (She wasn't even making a pretense of doing anything in class.) If she just wanted to watch, our open windows overlooked the game.

It must be a boy. Or boys. Otherwise, why give up the a/c? I must be missing something.

22 comments:

  1. She needs help. No one sane is giving up AC for a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something major to give up air conditioning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, a boy! I had a huge crush on a boy on the basketball team in high school. Oh, the things I would do... embarrassing, but he didn't know. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A crush on a boy in that PE class? I think you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girls crush easy on guys....maybe that is it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it could be a boy or hating the class you were teaching so much that she would rather be on the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could be she hates the class. I hadn't considered that one, but it's entirely possible.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't considered that latter option, either. lol

      Delete
    3. Considering the teacher... Yeah, that's a possibility.

      Delete
  7. Your logic makes sense to me, but I think only because that is the way I would have been acting back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teenagers definitely think differently than we do.

      Delete
  8. I say it's about a boy.
    Happy Monday, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I think it is almost habit for them to try and get out of class. But who can tell with teenagers.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.