Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Illustrating the Lesson

I pretty much put the entire summer school class on Google Slides. It's way easier than writing things on a whiteboard. I could project examples and do work with them. It made many things easier. 

I have been learning all sorts of interesting tricks to Google Slides. One of them was how to put gifs into the slides so there's movement on each slide. As soon as I figured out that trick (or rather as soon as I looked up how to do it), I put up some gifs every day. 

Gifs like: 



The last one was the gif I used with the question, "What would you like to be famous for?" 

And it was up on the screen when Mr. V, the summer school principal, walked in. 

Is South Park middle school appropriate? Probably not. 

I mean, I wasn't showing South Park. If he read the rest of the slide, he'd have seen how it went with what we were doing.

Mr. V did question the gif. He questioned if the students knew South Park. One of them said they had heard of it. 

But then Mr. V went on to make the announcement to the class that he had come to do. And he left. 

I guess I should be more careful of what gifs I use. 

I mean, the gif itself wasn't inappropriate. I wouldn't put up an inappropriate gif. 

Why didn't Mr. V walk in when I had up the gif of the flag? Or the ice cream cake? Or the car driving along a road? I had plenty of innocuous gifs.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think, knowing what I know now, I'd do the same.

      Delete
  2. It just figures that it was the South Park gif, right? But really, out of all the South Park gifs available out in the world, that one shouldn't have been a problem. I wonder how many students went searching for South Park after Mr. V's questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timing always gets ya. They'll always walk in at the worst possible time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god. South Park is twenty five years old. Kids are barely aware of it because it appeals to people my age and I am old. I did not need this today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. South Park is actually very educational IMO. The fact they haven't watched it means we are missing out on the next generation of cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure some of them have seen it. They weren't exactly speaking up when Mr. V started.

      Delete
  6. I just realized South Park has been on for 25 years. I think I stopped watching it in season 8 (or so). Strange how superiors always seem to have good timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how many times they come in when things are going right. But, then there was the time with the bee where five girls ran out of class. So, it balances out in the end, I think.

      Delete
  7. That chocolate chip cookie gif is making me want to bake chocolate chip cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. The kiddos really hated that slide. It made them hungry at 8:30 AM.

      Delete
  8. It's kind of a universal rule, that the authorities never come into a setting unless it's the wrong time. I liked your gifs, and I'm sure the kids did, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always the wrong time. But the gif was fairly innocuous...

      Delete
  9. Well, the principal knew South Park, so what does that say about him?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I only seen one south park.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some adults would think South Park inappropriate which would make for a good question for students: Why do they think some people feel South Park is inappropriate for children to watch? No doubt there are probably people who think Charlie Brown cartoons are inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's just fine. He should know you enough to know you ate professional. And would not put up about killing Kenny etc... ge sounds annoying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Killing Kenny had nothing to do with their journal question, so they were safe from that.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.