Thursday, May 26, 2022

Paper Airplanes and the Substitute Teacher

First thing in the morning, we do a "calendar" thing. It starts with changing the date on the board, but it encompasses the weather and current events. (I try to draw the whole thing out so it takes us about an hour and a half.) 

We have two sources for current events. The first is software that contains lessons for special ed classes such as this. They have a breaking news feature with stories that are written simply so they can understand. 

The second source we use is CNN 10. (I have talked about CNN 10 before.) 

On Wednesday, the software had a story on the world paper airplane championship. On Thursday, CNN 10 did a story on it.

Sometimes that happens. We get the written and then we get the video. I make sure to point out that we already heard about something when we get the story a second time.

This time, I asked them a question. Had they ever made paper airplanes before? 

They had not.

Oh, we had to, then.

I found paper. I showed them. They couldn't quite grasp how the thing folded, so I went to each of them and bent the paper to where it needed to touch. Then I had them smooth out the fold. 

They weren't great looking planes, but they were paper airplanes.

Then we went outside to throw them. 

Mine... didn't fly very well. Jonas' really sailed through the air, flying far. Jennifer's did lovely loops. 

Which is just a lesson in folded well doesn't mean that the thing flies very well. 

Jonas really enjoyed the lesson. He colored his plane and brought it out for snack and lunch. 

I'm glad I was able to add a bit to their education.

12 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun! Though I've never been good at paper airplanes. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great extension on their learning - any learning that is fun will stick with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how many have ever made them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Jennifer and Jonas said they had never made a paper airplane before. The rest of the class was not really capable of it (unless someone did most of it for them).

      Delete
  4. It always good to do something fun.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem like a very good teacher. It is an excellent project for the class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good teacher? *snorts in laughter* That's sweet of you to say, but sadly it's not true.

      Delete
  6. Fun and educational and a new experience for some. Nothing wrong with having fun.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.