Friday, March 16, 2018

Bad Forgery


My second day of a three day assignment in the eighth grade English class was a Friday. It was "Fun Friday". Any student who met certain requirements (namely, good grades and attendance) got dismissed to lunch 20 minutes early and admitted to a fun activity.

I had the list of students. I had their passes. I passed out the passes to the seven students in class who had earned it. And at the allotted time, I allowed them to leave.

Jesse held up a pass, said he was part of the group, and attempted to leave the class with the group. But Jesse wasn't on the list.

Why do the difficult students think they can get away with this stuff?

Jesse wasn't "bad" per se. These classes were pretty good overall, so the worst I can say for Jesse is he got out of his seat a bit too frequently. I had to take an extra moment to ask for his attention when I was giving the class instruction. But nothing out of the ordinary, especially for a sub.

But trying to sneak out of class with "the good kids"? Nope.

After the rest of the class had been dismissed for lunch, I found Jesse's "pass" on the floor. The passes were preprinted class schedules (with student ID numbers) for each student. Jesse had scratched out someone's name and printed his name in pencil above it.

I don't know what he was planning to do with that pass if he managed to get past me. No one would mistake that for an actual pass for this activity.

Eighth grade logic escapes me.

21 comments:

  1. This makes me laugh. It's a shame you couldn't have gotten his hopes up, sent him with the group only to have him sent back by another teacher. That would have been amusing. But I'm guessing there was no guarantee he would come back, so it's just as well that you didn't.

    Do you know what the "fun activity" was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, once he was out for lunch, he wasn't coming back. If he would have been sent back... Oh, that might be fun.

      No, I don't know what the activity was. Maybe just an extra long lunch?

      Delete
  2. Ha. Nope. Cool that kids are rewarded for good behavior though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was more for good grades than good behavior.

      Delete
  3. I think your mistake was assuming that any sort of logic, forethought, or planning was involved in his choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Logic? Boys? Hmmm. They do not seem to go with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz .. funny replies! and boys do they think they'll get away with it ... have a good weekend away! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember being capable of great logic except when it involved boys starting around age fifteen to twenty. ~shakes head~ I imagine your awesome posts here are cathartic to you, as well. Best wishes, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. There's nothing greater than getting to complain about them here. (I even told Wednesday's group that I was going to do it. It kind of felt good to do that.)

      Delete
  7. That's hilarious. Scratched someone's name out and wrote his... duh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 8th graders think they know more than we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why my tag for 8th grade classes is a condensed form of "8th graders are evil" ;)

      Delete
  9. 8th grade logic??? Only 8th grade? I think mine starts with logic from about 5 on up....way into the 20's!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOPS...forgot, I hope you are feeling better after staying in bed today. Hoping you feel better for sure before Monday rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha...he must be trying to test the boundaries and see what he can get away with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are they can logic to middle school people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They do think they can outsmart us!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.