Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Spoiler


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements ;)

It's election day in the U.S. It's been a long, drawn out election season, and I am so ready for it to be over. So, rather than rehash the presidential race (let's just not go there, okay?), I thought we could think about the other races. Races like for Congress, the Senate, or state and/or local offices.

What if you personally knew one of the candidates? A long time ago, this person did something despicable (possibly criminal), but got away with it. You have first-hand knowledge of this. Would you take the story public? (Especially if you knew that no one might believe you.)

19 comments:

  1. Yes, I would definitely take the story public even if no one believed me. I'd regret it if I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would depend on so many factors. Has this person repented? Shown remorse? Changed his ways? Do I like him or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I didn't specify, you can assume any or all of those.

      Delete
  3. I would. Although if it involved emails I know it wouldn't do any good...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good question! I think I would have to go the approach of what Paula said. Not a clear cut answer, but if it was something that would effect how they would lead in their position, then I probably would feel the need to say something, believed or not.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a lot of factors would play into my decision, kind of like Paula said above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If he/she was a drug addict that stole to feed his/her habit and is now clean and sober and doing well...no, I wouldn't but if he/she raped someone or killed someone, and not in self defense, but cold blooded murder...I would not have waited until now but would have gone to the police way back when it happened. I don't care if no one believed me, I would have to stand by my own convictions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know. It would depend on a lot of things. If I thought it effected their fitness for the job, then I'd absolutely say something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, he wasn't despicably evil. He was just an asshat. I had the "pleasure" of working for a POS running to be a senator from Pennsylvania when I was in the Navy. He was prone to screaming whenever he didn't think things weren't going his way and berated his people like a schoolyard bully. He made George Patton look like Mother Teresa. In fact, I wrote a column in Navy Times about this clown. I was so happy he didn't even get out of the primaries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have to make this known. People would believe someone whose character is well-known, respected.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course have it known. Because that will be fair and just.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, fair and just doesn't always win the day.

      Delete
  11. I would have to lawyer up first, but yes, I believe I would. Alana ramblinwithm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meh. If it was something that truly bothered me I would have said something when it happened not years, decades later.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.