Friday, December 12, 2014

Reading Them the Riot Act


It was day 2 of the terrible, awful, no good 7th grade math class. Periods 1/2 (I had the same group for two periods) was actually kind of cooperative. At least, they were easier to deal with than on day 1.

4th period went nominally better. That could have been because I kicked one girl out fairly early. Unfortunately she returned...

Between the periods, the kiddos get to get up and walk around. They go outside. It's a nice break, and I'm more than happy to let them have it.

But something wasn't right. I can't tell you exactly what it was. A mood. A feeling. The kiddos were outside on the lawn, and they were all focused on the same thing.

A fight was coming.

I didn't hear the argument. But I've been in this situation a couple times before, and I recognize the signs.

It was almost time for the passing period to end, so I waved them all inside.

And it got worse.

There was an argument happening, and one girl was pretty upset. The others weren't helping matters. So, I did the only thing I could do--I called the office.

The classroom was fairly close to the office, so within seconds, the kiddos saw the principal coming our way. Suddenly, silence.

When she arrived, I let her know that a fight was imminent. She let the class know she was not pleased with their behavior. And she got to the bottom of the incident. Turns out that the troublemaker girl I threw out the previous period was angry at another girl over a boy.

Naturally.

Issues removed from class, and things settled. For a bit.

7 comments:

  1. In 7th grade, it's ALL about the boys! I remember those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of wish I knew which boy. So I could see what all the fuss was about.

      Delete
  2. So your teacher sense was tingling.

    I can't believe they're getting that upset over boys...or maybe I can and I don't want to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting how you can determine that something is about to brew! Good thinking to call the office to get reinforcements.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. After working in this field you would know what is brewing. Kids can get so upset. I wonder if that trouble maker girl was bothered by the fact you threw her out so she decided to take out her frustrations on another all for some silly boy. The boys will love it too-ughhhh. You need a nice glass of wine after this I bet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent pick up Liz. Not all teachers would be so perceptive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all teachers have witnessed enough fights to know what it sounds like before the fight. Lucky them.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.