Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Missing Years


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements.

I saw this article on io9 a few weeks back. Apparently, there's this theory banging about that Pope Sylvester II and Holy Roman Emperor Otto III decided they wanted to be remembered or something, so they wanted to be around in the year 1000. Only they weren't, so they moved up the calendar. Because they were powerful enough to do that or something.

(This theory is well-known enough to have its own Wikipedia page.)

Which just boggles the mind. Whether it's true or not, it makes for an interesting story.

Where do I go with this?

What if you could initiate a hoax? Would you? Would you use it for good or evil?

9 comments:

  1. Interesting question again. I think if I initiated a hoax, it would have to be for good versus evil. I can't imagine doing something evil. Something like chocolate has no calories :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I look at this like a prank and it could never be hurtful. I was part of one quite a few years ago. my ex, in University, convinced this girl that he was divorced and had 2 children and we all kept it up for like a month. it was quite funny and this girl could take it and laughed when she found out...then she thought up ways to try to get even:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. That actually sounds kind of fun! Now that I think about it, I'd love to initiate a hoax. Nothing harmful, though. Maybe something that had a punchline, or that amused people somehow, if such a thing were possible. (I don't like to see people hurt, but I DO like to see them smile and laugh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a "just kidding" at the right time? Perhaps. Seems like the hoaxes I hear about (like the Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot) seem to convince people for years.

      Delete
  4. Hmm, very interesting! I don't know what I'd do if I had the opportunity to pull a hoax. Probably use it for good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have much interest in pulling a hoax - and certainly not if anyone would be harmed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sylvester who? The cat or Stallone? How cool would it be to be able to change the year? Oh the power some people had/have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some pope from 1000 years ago. I'd never heard of him either.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.