Friday, May 9, 2014

The Important Conversation

Did you know students still write each other notes? On paper? Yeah, it happens.

Normally, I don't care. If the students are writing notes, they're not talking. If the students are writing notes, they're not disrupting class. Usually.

But this was that one math class. And I needed every student to complete this one part of the assignment before I could release them to confer with the other students. And these two girls were writing notes rather than doing what I needed them to do. So, I took the note.

"You can't take that! That's mine."

I don't threaten to read them in class, either. If note writing becomes an issue, I inform them that I'll put it up on the social media phenom of the day. So, nowadays I threaten Instagram, although Snapchat would also scare them sufficiently.

And because I like to share, here's that note (since they used various colors of ink, I'll try to replicate)...

I don't like the way I am with [student's name redacted]!

Why, what u mean?

like, I want to be with him 
it's the same s*** errday
we dont even talk alot.
Hes more like a friend
that I see around school.

Well talk to him about that
i can't do much.

IK. I'm jty. I dont want to have those "breakup" thoughts. And I feel like I annoy him a lot.

do you want me to talk to him or something & you wont.

IDK
What would you tell him tho?

i would tell him that he needs to make his girl happy
By Hanging out w/her 24/7. & Yea & more... ect

But I d

At which point I took the note away from her, not even letting her finish that last word. (Cruel, I know.)

I get why this was important to them. But, in my defense, they would have had time to discuss this later. If they had spent this time doing the assignment, they would have had plenty of time after to talk.

8th graders. It's all the end of the world to them.

24 comments:

  1. ahhh-sending notes out. Teenagers have no idea about what is important since they are in the "me, me me" phase. Hopefully she will stick to talking about this outside of class and hopefully she will have enough sense to know what is best for her and not go by him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes...boy angst. I remember those days all too well. We never could talk directly to the boys--always had to get our friends to do the dirty work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more things change, the more they stay the same...

      Delete
  3. This was about a relationship! The media says that's the most important thing ever! I can't believe you interrupted her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shocked the write notes with paper and pen vs texting. If you threaten whatever those other items were that weren't facebook aren't you lowering yourself? Take the note, give them detention. They should learn why they're in class. Sandy at Traveling Suitcase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The threat is more when note writing becomes an issue in class. When I catch them at it, I just take the note.

      Delete
  5. I’m curious about whether your students care about having their notes posted on social media. I wonder if they would actually like the attention it may bring them.
    I give you a lot of credit for having the patience to deal with young people of that age. I find your perspective interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm amazed they still write notes in class, but I guess they might consider that safer than trying to text. Makes me curious what the girl decide to do about the guy :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a pretty sophisticated set of thoughts from that 8th grader. I'd like to know what happened, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The downside of subbing. I may never know.

      Delete
  8. I'm amazed by anyone with the patience to try to teach math to 8th graders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this bunch... I'm just glad I only had to deal with them for one day.

      Delete
  9. Interesting - I would've liked to see the end of that conversation and I want an expansion on 'I don't like the way I am with x' I want specifics! Go tell that girl to finish the note for us writers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I worry, worry, worry about my soon-to-be-in-middle-school daughter. I don't expect her to be immune to boys, but I don't want her to obsess and I certainly don't want her to put boys above herself, her schoolwork or her friends. I hope she gets teachers who pay attention and care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure she will. Have teachers who pay attention and care. Not the other. Not all girls obsess like this. I just find the interesting stories and post them. The interesting stories aren't always the most prevalent.

      Delete
  11. I love that they are still passing notes! I use to love passing notes, the good ones were kept for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was fun. Those really long ones that looking back now tell you so much about who you were?

      Delete
  12. Ha! Caught in the act. I'm always shocked at the atrocious spelling on the notes! Good work Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best part! That's why I always translate them verbatim or I photo them and post.

      Delete
  13. i sub too - teens are so dramatic, and when they have something on their minds, they think they have to talk about it right away, school be darned! i don't crack on them for grammar or spelling, tho, it's who they are at the time. it saves some of their innocence and self-expression without fear of being judged. but then again, if they want privacy, they shouldn't be passing notes during work time!

    thanks for the insight - good fodder for character development!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love the misspellings. It's what makes those notes worth it.

      Delete
  14. we do this.. exchange chits. its nt jst between two bt among 7 people! ya dats ryt! its our grp n d chit circulates through each of us n we all keep adding our thots! thpugh v can use watsapp n save ourselves d trouble of circulatin d chit, there s some fun in the hand written messages :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some fun in doing it by hand. I fear we're losing that.

      Delete
  15. ah the days of youth, and young love, and the world ends if the relationship does...hang on, I know a few adults like that too lol.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.