Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Key Blunder

The class was an all-day special ed. That is, I had pretty much the same students all day. To give you an idea of their abilities, they are middle-school aged, but the math class assignment was probably 2nd or 3rd grade. They were to complete two worksheets where they had to tell time on analog clocks. And the third worksheet gave them an amount of change, and they had to mark how many quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies were needed to get it.

They needed a lot of help with this.

In 6th period, three of the boys went out to water the garden.

I thought I was fully prepared. Deshawn was the expert and he'd be in charge. Their teacher left the shed key so we'd have access. And I had a basic idea of what needed to happen.

So, we got out there, but the key wouldn't fit in the gate's lock. Oops.

There was a second garden to water. We went over there. Deshawn went to retrieve the hose from the office, but the hose wasn't there.

Deshawn asked one of the ladies in the office. She asked someone else. Eventually, they went in search of the hose in a classroom, but the teacher wasn't there. Then radios and phone calls were involved. The hose was located (in a different classroom), and the boys did the watering.

Then we went back to class.

I told the instructional aide that we couldn't get behind the gate. She was surprised as I should have had a gate key. And that's when it hit me. I did.

The staff restrooms are all locked, so subs get a restroom key along with a classroom key for the day. The restroom key also opens things like gates.

I really should have known that. I really should have.

Well, on the bright side, it took a lot longer to do the watering than expected. The boys got a nice day in the sunshine.

15 comments:

  1. I am sure they enjoyed the sunshine and gardening more than schoolwork. My daughter helps out in the special needs classrooms during her Encore and most recess periods. They are building life-size cardboard boats right now and they are having a ball. She has been doing it for 3 or 4 years and these kids count on her being there. It brings her a lot of joy and makes her feel important. It makes me very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The school also has a club that pairs special needs kids with general ed kids, and both sets of kids seem to enjoy that.

      Delete
  2. Mr Bunches gets homework like that; he's in the first grade, so I don't feel so bad that he's struggling with it. My question is this: why do we still teach kids analog clocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because analog clocks are still around. If I had a dollar for every time a kid asked me the time, I pointed out the clock in the classroom, and the kid informed me that he couldn't read that kind of clock...

      Delete
  3. When one thing goes wrong, everything goes wrong. But you got a nice walk out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has to be hard to keep everything in check, so to speak, as I'm sure you sub had a variety of schools. The good news is the garden got watered, just took a bit for it to accomplish! When does school get out?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it was probably an adventure for them. I've had many moments like that in my life...you end up hoping the other person won't think too long about the fact that your key SHOULD have worked and it will all be forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad the kid had enough social skills to know who to ask to find the hose. So, he did get something accomplished even if it took way too long.

      Delete
  6. It all sounds like it came together in the end and they had a fun time I am sure they liked it much better than actual school work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is difficult. Take it one step at a time. That's just my motto. What do they say about the best laid schemes of mice and men?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds as if you were calm and collected throughout. Some days don't turn out as we expect. Little difficulties rear their ugly heads. It's good for the kids to see you handle the situation with patience.

    You don't want to be around me if I can't get a key to work—no calm and collected here.

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teaching analogue time causes me to develop a massive migraine. There's a Youtube video of Dave Allen talking about teaching time. It's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! So go the best laid plans, eh? Occasionally you just have to laugh at yourself and move on.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.