Monday, October 21, 2013

Amigurumi Jack-O-Lantern

Two weeks ago, I posted pictures of the amigurumi pumpkins that I had crocheted.


And Jeanne made the comment:
...It would be perfect if they came with little jack-o-lantern features. Much less messy than carving.
Which got me thinking...

First, I thought I could embroider a face onto the pumpkins, but I couldn't figure out how to embroider a mouth. (If any of you know how, please let me know, because I've searched the internet, and I haven't found the thing that would work.)

So, then I decided to try a little color work. I got out grid paper and sketched out what I thought would work...


...and it turned out way creepy. (Notice I didn't even finish it. I got this far and knew I was going to toss this effort.) This picture doesn't even do it justice. That mouth!

So, I scaled back a little...


Better, but not quite there yet. The right eye is off by one stitch (by the time I saw it, it was too late to fix). And the mouth... I guess I can't do the cut-out tooth thing. It doesn't quite work.

So, why am I posting not finished designs? Because at the rate I'm going with this, it'll be Thanksgiving before I get it right, and I wanted to get this posted before the actual holiday it corresponds to.

Although, if any of you have any ideas on how to get this pumpkin to look like a jack-o-lantern, I'm listening. I can use any help you're willing to give.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know much about crocheting, but perhaps the pumpkins are too small or the yarn you're using is too big to show enough details. I'm not sure how to correct that, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about crocheting, but these are very cute. JE's idea about a finer yarn makes sense, but I don't know how that works when translating a pattern.

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.