Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A Sub for a Sub

When I walked into the secretary's office to check in, she was on the phone with the sub caller. She was discussing me and why I had been given a certain assignment.

Apparently, I was in for a long term sub. For the day.

It was a math class. The long term sub had left me lesson plans. So, I was well prepared. But it threw the kids for a loop.

I guess it never occurred to them that a sub might need a day off. Their teacher had been out for a while (maternity leave). I explained that this was not a "changing of the subs". Their sub needed the day for whatever reason, and she would return tomorrow.

The long term sub is doing a good job with them. They have not gone wild. So, for me it was just like any other sub day. I took roll, gave the assignment, and watched to make sure they stayed on task.

3 comments:

  1. I remember there being a sub for a sub when I was in elementary school, and thinking how weird it seemed. I have no idea why this is so, but it is. It's like hearing what teachers do during the summer. Students forget that they even exist outside of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious what constitutes a long-term sub. Is the teaching period longer than two weeks? Longer than a month? Is acquiring a long-term sub position the luck of the draw? You go to fill-in and then discover the position will last the term. Are long-terms recruited differently than "regular" subs?

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.