Monday, January 21, 2013

Sweating in the Winter

When I walked into the classroom last Monday, the thermostat read 45°. And my jaw hit the floor.

Last week started off cold. It had been cold for a few weeks. Well, cold for us. I know the rest of you that get real weather, like snow, consider us wimps, and perhaps we are. No, no perhaps. I guess it's just what you're used to, and we're used to things being a little bit warmer.

I shivered under my heavy sweater. Then I turned on the heater.

The heater worked well. By the time the class showed up, the temperature was up to 52°. By the end of first period, we were at a comfortable 70°.

About that time, when we had achieved room temperature, a girl called me over.

"Could you turn on the air conditioner? It's too warm in here."

Never fails. I don't care what the temperature is. Someone always wants me to turn on the air conditioner.

5 comments:

  1. At least the girl has excellent blood circulation. In my area, most of the households keep their thermostats set at 65 degrees to save money. That's just a normal thing for people with kids. My brother is also doing that and his house "feels cold" to me. I keep my house warm. People complain it's too hot at 75 degrees. It's a very small apartment so it only costs me $40 a month to heat it that way. Plus I run an air purifier and a humidifier so that my sinuses don't dry out. I guess I'm glad I live by myself. It's perfectly acclimatized to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's just very much what you're used to. Seventy five degrees fahrenheit sounds unnaturally warm to me but I live in Scotland so basically anything above fifty degrees is tropical to me. ;) I wander around in tshirts at fifty degrees.

    All the same! Being cold is never nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people are hot all the time. It's usually the same people who never think to dress in layers so they can take off their sweatshirt if they get warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Considering tomorrow's high temperature around here is supposed to top out at 6, I don't consider you a wimp. I consider you smart and wonder why it is I don't live somewhere like that.

    That said... My significant other and I are always fighting over the thermostat. He turns it up, I turn it down. I like the house cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter and I are total opposites. She is cold and I get hot. But she is the kid (all be it in her thirties) so I always give in and step outside. The temp in the teens cools me off.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.