Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Rush

School doesn't start around these parts until September. Well, all except the continuation high school which started a couple weeks ago (last week and a half of July, I believe). So, while I was not surprised to get called to sub, I was surprised by a call on Monday in the afternoon to sub right away.

Apparently, I can be out the door in about 15 minutes if I don't have to worry about waking up and stuff.

They've changed the reentry class a bit this year. Now, the majority of the work is done on computers. My job was to initial every time a student finished a section. Which meant the majority of my time was spent watching them work.

On days like these, I like to have reading material to pass the time.

I'd get up, walk the room, and sit. Then I'd read for a bit, looking up every couple paragraphs to make sure I wasn't needed.

The room was quiet. No one needed me. I read. Then I heard a snapping. I looked up to find five hands in the air. Oops.

How did I miss five students needing me all at the same time? Did they all finish at the same time? Seems likely, as I didn't think I was that immersed in my magazine.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe they were all waiting to play the old game of Drive the Substitute Crazy? :) I suppose it could have been an interesting magazine.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.