Monday, July 2, 2012

Selective Memory

Last week, I covered a summer school English class on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. (On Monday I wondered how many students would still be enrolled by Friday. The final tally was 21.)

On Wednesday the class was terrible. The less said about that, the better. On Thursday, the teacher assigned them all seats in an attempt to curb the talking. She left me the seating chart, but on Friday as they all came in, they sat back where they sat on Wednesday.

I told the class that there was now a seating chart, so they should sit in their assigned seats. They gave me questioning looks. They did not recall where their teacher had made them sit. So, one by one, I told them who sat where. And they did.

Friday was a whole different story. While the class wasn't as good as this teacher's classes usually are, the group was a whole lot better than they had been on Wednesday.

A few students were late. They came in after I reminded the class who sat where. The funny thing was, every student who walked in late sat in his/her proper assigned seat. Every one.

The rest of the class "forgot" where their seats were? Um, I don't think so.

2 comments:

  1. "Forgot" is an excuse used by the privileged first world kids. In the "third world" kids love going to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Down to 21, huh? Too bad.

    I guess the game was "Drive the Sub Crazy". But I'm sure you won.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.