Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A #2 Pencil

It's the penultimate week of school.

On Monday I was called to cover a biology class. They had a multiple choice test that they were to answer on a Scantron sheet. I've done this sort of thing before, so I know the drill. But this time, the teacher helped me out just a little bit more.

The lesson plan stated that if a student didn't have a number 2 pencil, that student could write the answers on a sheet of paper and then come in at lunch the next day and transfer those answers to a Scantron sheet.

Brilliant! I can't tell you how many times I get students who don't have a pencil on them. Unless the teacher left some for student use (I don't carry extra materials with me), we're left scrambling, because somehow this becomes my problem.

I'm going to file this one away. I will use it again. It will come up, of that I'm sure.

Third period, a student raised his hand to inform me that he didn't have a pencil. I gave him the instructions as per the lesson plan.

"I don't have a pen, either."

3 comments:

  1. I could mail you a whole pack of number 2 pencils. They are pretty cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I remember the days...
    back when I used to sub.
    What memories...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does one get through school without something to write with? Especially the second to last week when it's usually exam time. Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.