Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Chess Game

The sub caller said science. She neglected to add that it was also special ed.

Not that I would have turned it down. I'm not that picky. I only turn down P.E. I don't even turn down Spanish (I took French) or economics (I never really got economics).

As it turned out, it was a pretty good day. The teacher has been training them to sit and work on packets, and they are now in the habit. They sat and worked. They didn't argue with me. They didn't try to play around. They behaved better than many of the regular ed classes I cover.

Two students in period 3 had finished their packets. They asked if they could play chess. Apparently, this was what they did when they had some free time.

I spent most of that period watching the two playing chess. (The rest of the class was busy working and didn't need so much attention.) It's been years since I played, but I remember the rules. One boy was ruthless. He captured so many of his opponent's pieces that the boy was left with a king, a rook, and a pawn by the end.

They played four games. The first boy won the first three.

Easy days are good things. It's nice to leave a glowing note every once in a while.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good day.

    I don't put myself down for special ed because I feel like I can't provide enough support. But sometimes a job slips in, just like happened to you.

    Economics was the hardest subject I ever took in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm passing the Stylish Blogger Award your way. You can check out the details here.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.