Monday, September 13, 2010

Lucky

"Are you available all this week?"

Of course I am.  I'm kind of surprised that I've been called as much as I have.  This is only the third week of school.  And I'm no longer at the top of the sub list due to the fact that the district laid off a lot of teachers at the end of the last school year.  (Our district is not alone in this.)  I've been grateful for every call I've gotten.

Still, I asked who it was for before I accepted.  I didn't want to seem too easy.

Continuation high school.  Math.

I've subbed the class before, but not for this teacher.  This math class has been through three or four teachers since I first subbed at the school (over several years).  I knew what the class would be about.  The students would be working at their own pace through the lessons.  They do this on computers.

In previous years, the students would work for a while, get bored, and then surf the Internet.  This is what I expected.  I was in for a pleasant surprise.

Not only did the students work the entire period (well, except for one boy), they also worked quietly, and they gave me no problems whatsoever.  It was so nice!

For once, I could concentrate on assisting students rather than dealing with behavior issues.  It was very pleasant.

Wish me luck.  Here's hoping that the rest of the week is as nice as today was.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had an easy day. Hope it's an easy week as well.

    I haven't gotten any new jobs under the new sub system. They called me the first day, but I had an interview, so I had to turn it down (it was for a two-day gig). Then we had off for Rosh Hashanah. So, it's the fourth day of school, but I was only available for three.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.