Saturday, September 11, 2010

Bob

There was a skeleton in the classroom yesterday.  I don't know if it's a real skeleton.  It's probably a reproduction.  One of the biology teachers has one as well, but I don't know the skeleton's decorating purpose in a criminalistics classroom.  (It has to be for criminalistics, though, for it's definitely not for physics.)

The bottom part of the jaw was not attached correctly.  It was hanging off the skeleton.  One of the students was fussing with it when this incident started.  I questioned him as to what he was doing, and he explained that he was trying to fix it.  Another student said that it had been detached for a while, and then he took over for the first boy.  He managed to get the thing attached correctly.

A girl who had a seat at the front, right in front of the skeleton, then told me that the skeleton's name was Bob.  She named it.

Having no dog in this fight, I nodded and said something vague.  The girl insisted that the skeleton's name was Bob.  Since I hadn't disagreed with her, I didn't see what the trouble was.

The first boy then entered the conversation.  He started with stating that Bob the skeleton was his cousin.  Then he said his name was Bobby.  I made a comment that naming cousins the same thing is a cruel trick on the part of the parents.  The boy said that Bob and Bobby are different.  Okay, then.

Fictional Bobby then said that if his last name was Bobby, he would name his son Bob.  Bob Bobby.  To me, that sounds like a form of child abuse, and I made some comment indicating such.  The conversation again turned, and I no longer could keep up.

The girl then told me that Bob talks to her.  If this hadn't been a ridiculous conversation in the first place, I might have been more concerned.  I might have said something about schizophrenia.  But I highly doubt the girl was serious.

The period ended soon after.  As the girl left the room, she told her friend that Bob talks to her.  The friend gave that about as much credence as I did.

1 comment:

  1. If Bob gives her answers when the students have a test that would be useful.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.